Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sketch in new component

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1592 Views, 5 Replies

No sketch in new component

Hi!

I have been experimenting with shape optimazation - and edited my bodies in the "simplify" section. After the re-design, i found the body and created a new component - saved that as a new file.

When i acces that file, i have the body within the component, but no sketches. howcome?

is this because i did it in the "simplify" section? 

How else can i move a design from a shape optimization and into a new file where I can continue to edit it?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If I'm not mistaken when you create a new component from a design it will always remove the previous edits making you unable to edit previous edits. So if you want to keep editing a component you might want to leave it alone until it's completed, then make it a new component. Just my 2 cents.

Message 3 of 6
TrippyLighting

It would probably help if you explain your workflow more detailed perhaps with a screencast and maybe share the design.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Thank you very much Lily 🙂
That could work - however I would like to bring my sketch with me, into a new component, if i.e. I want different versions or send it to another destination for further work. And i see the rule of always making new designs into components, so i wonder if there is a way to imbed the sketch. 

Maybe I am starting the wrong way.

Thank you for your answer

Niels 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Hi Peter

I have used the simulation "shape optimization" and used sketch & extrude on the body in the simplify environment. 

After this, I made a new component of the body extruded, and tried saving a copy, or exporting it into a new file. But here I am having a hard time bringing the sketch, made to create the body. 

If you would be so kind to see the foto attached:

1. i create the skecth on the bodyface of ben1.

2. I extrude my sketch through the mesh, and select create new component.

3. this gives me component 5, with a body. 

If a save copy or export this component 5, the body will be there but not the sketch which it was made from. 
Is there any way to manage this better, which will give me a new component with sketch for further work.

Thank you
Niels

Message 6 of 6
TrippyLighting

Yu need to activate that (empty) component first before creating the sketch that you want to use to project the contour into. Once activated the sketch will be created in teh activated componet.

Please see Fusion 360 R.U.L.E #1 for reference.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report