Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newb Can't combine componets

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1477 Views, 14 Replies

Newb Can't combine componets

I have been working on this file for a while, teaching myself as I go. I have gotten to a point where I am really happy with what I have done and want to combine them to give it a test print but I can seem to get it to work. I know HOW to do it like I have been combining all my small pieces as I go but I can't get these bigger pieces to combine. Sorry I also haven't figure out how to screencast yet. Can anyone tell me what I am doing/did wrong and how to fix it? I really dont want to have to start all over.... I'd also welcome any work flow or "common knowledge" tips
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
TrippyLighting
in reply to: Anonymous

Trying to manipulate a converted mesh file with sold modeling techniques is often resulting in failure.

It would probably be much easier and faster to re-desgin this with Fusion 360's native tools.

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

So there is no way to finish this current file? I have been working on this for days now... 😓
Message 4 of 15
etfrench

There is no need to combine the various bodies in order to print the model.  Simply right click on the top node in the browser and select 'Save As STL' from the context menu.

See Rule #1

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
TrippyLighting

Before I show you how to re-create this as a solid model , do you need this cut-out area ? Th upper part loos awfully thin to be 3D printed successfully.

Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 2.03.02 PM.png

EESignature

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

That would be awesome, thank you!
Actually,I do need the parts cut out. I am working on making a better version of this wand, since it's not as accurate as I would like it to be. Those parts are where the "StarWandCloudWingsX2" fit in. Both part register to fit the "starwandhead" as well. The thing is I think I could handle (and prefer) making the part I uploaded from scratch and a new pair of "StarWandCloudWingsX2", I already made a new "starwandface","starwandcrown" & "starwandhandle"  (all the same dimensions just more detailed) but I could not figure out how to make a new "starwandhead" seeing as everything locks in the groves that are already present on it. So I just went to work altering the pieces that were already existed... Does that make sense? 

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

I keep getting Access Denied when I tried to view your post.
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

I keep getting Access Denied when I tried to view your post.

Message 9 of 15
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

1. …. I already made a new "starwandface","starwandcrown" & "starwandhandle"....

2. So I just went to work altering the pieces that were already existed... Does that make sense?  

1. I recommend you attach all of  your *.f3d files here and ask how one of the pros here might model the geometry.

2. Back when I started out (in the last century) the term commonly used was GIGO - garbage in - garbage out.  Now I understand this century it is, "Putting lipstick on a pig - it is still a pig."

I suspect that you might be learning bad habits on your own.

In my experience, it is always harder to teach someone who has picked up bad habits than it is to teach someone from scratch.  Don't get too deep without asking questions and having someone critique you techniques.  I think if you keep an open mind and follow along - you will find the forum members will give you hundreds of dollars  worth of training - for free!  Can't beat that.

Message 10 of 15

I wonder what happened to the post I made yesterday that included a screencast.

I checked the post after posting it and it was definitely here. Then this user could not access the screencast and I checked that it was set to "public" 

The wondrous Forum software does interesting things sometimes 😕

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

Thank you for showing me that, I am no where near as good with sketch curves as that yet! Could I just use the sketch I imported from Illustrator? I already have that and that's what I used to mod the first model, I just couldn't figure out how to make the top cutout part from the original and thats why I wanted to merge them. More than just recreate it like you did...and so quickly too O_O

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Wow. Man Indifferent.. I didnt think my stuff, was THAT bad but sure bring it on....

- For the wand face I just made new hearts and made the star its own piece
-Wand head I can't figure out how to start since its where the face lock into it and I cant figure out how to make it without these groveshead example.jpg

- I changed the handle to just make a pommel instead so I can just use PVC as the actual handle.

If someone can show me the head part, I think...hope... the my skills are ok enough to make the rest...

Message 13 of 15
TrippyLighting

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow. Man Indifferent.. I didnt think my stuff, was THAT bad but sure bring it on....

Ohohohoh....... I like that attitude ! 😉

What @TheCADWhisperer is referring to is not your models in general, but your use off triangulated geometry. If you want to use Fusion 360 then my suggestion would be to ditch working on improving imported geometry and rather use it as a guide to create your own CAD models from scratch.

When I say imported geometry I also mean imported curves from AI or other vector graphics software. You will only prolong your learning experience and will suffer through some obstacles and may still end up with inferior results.

As it pertains to the speed of my screencast, I am not that dizzyingly fast. The playback for some reason is accelerated, maybe 50% or so. 

EESignature

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

Well Gosh Dangit! There goes my use for my Graphic Design degree!....Man Frustrated Man LOL

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

Anyone think they should show me how to make the head without the groves on the sides? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report