Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New sheet metal functionality???

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
bryan5
381 Views, 10 Replies

New sheet metal functionality???

Checking in to see if there are new sheet metal functionality on the horizon?

I would love to see some basic items added such as closed corner and normal cutout. 

Thank you 

Bryan Lagrange
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
jhackney1972
in reply to: bryan5

Please explain what you mean by "Normal Cutout".  If you mean cutting out sheet metal across bends and other curved surfaces and create 90 degree cut edges, then this is already available.  If you mean something else, please explain and/or give an example.

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
bryan5

How do you keep the 90 degree cut edges across bends with the extrude cut tool?

Thank you

Bryan Lagrange
Message 4 of 11
jhackney1972

You use the Unbend command to lay your sheet metal model flat, sketch your desired cut, extrude your cut, then use the Refold command to restore the original bends.

Edit: If you want to see an example, take a look at this Blog Article and Video.

John Hackney, Retired
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
bryan5

So it all has to be done from the flat pattern. It can't be done on the 3D model? 

If you put a cutout say a circle at an angle through a bend wouldn't the flat have a oval shape? How do I anticipate the size and shape of the cutout in the flat pattern?

Bryan Lagrange
Message 6 of 11
jhackney1972

You do not use the Flat Pattern command, you do this using the Unfold command.  You cannot edit the model in the Flat Pattern.  As far as the circle around the folder corner, you will get square cut edges, the circle shape may be affected by the Bend Rules, I have no way to test this but it is not much.

John Hackney, Retired

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
bryan5

Instead of having to unfold and re fold, I would like to see something like Solid Edge with the Normal Cutout that allows you to make a cut in 3D and it cuts the part normal to the thickness or like Onshape that understands you are cutting on a sheet metal part and automatically compensates for the 90 degree cut to thickness. One step. Does Fusion have something like this?

Bryan Lagrange
Message 8 of 11
jhackney1972

No, I would not expect this functionality in the near future.

John Hackney, Retired

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
bryan5

Bummer, Thank you for your help. 

Bryan Lagrange
Message 10 of 11
laughingcreek

yes, more sheet metal functionality please.

in the mean time we have workarounds.  is the attached something like what our after?

Message 11 of 11
bryan5

I feel its time for more sheet metal functionality and less work arounds. Seems like Sheet metal functionality always takes a back seat to other flavors of the day modeling. Not asking for the world, just some basic additions that I believe should be core capabilities for sheet metal.

Thank yo for the work around file. 

Bryan Lagrange

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report