Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to dimension part on 45 in drawing

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
M&GToolWorks
454 Views, 9 Replies

Need to dimension part on 45 in drawing

I've tried googling this issue but get a lot of 3d printer results, and nothing that I can find in regards to drawings. 

I have a cylindrical part, with a cut put in at a 45 degree angle. I am trying to make a drawing for this part with the dimensions for that cut. 

All of this information is in the sketch geometry, but I cannot seem to get the model as shown in the drawing to rotate onto a 45 so that I can dimension the part accordingly. 

Can anyone show me how to do this? I see crazy complex designs that autodesk shows as examples, how do people make blueprints for these parts to be manufactured? 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
g-andresen
in reply to: M>oolWorks

Hi,

please share your design to take a look at and for qualified hints.

günther

Message 3 of 10
M&GToolWorks
in reply to: g-andresen

Hello, 

The design is really quite simple, take a round part, and put a 45 degree flat on it. 

Unfortunately I have learned not to share parts, as I cannot access the part I shared, which Autodesk *guesses* that is why I cannot access the part. 

I will make you an example so that you can hopefully show me how to dimension. 

Message 4 of 10
M&GToolWorks
in reply to: g-andresen

Here is an example part. 

Message 5 of 10

Why did you model the part at 45°?

That requires extra work.

If the part was sitting on the table in front of me, I could rotate 45° and it is the same part - doesn't change by rotating.

So why not model in position for drawing view?

(You could rotate the body, but I never understood why people will create extra workplanes to mode at rotated angles.)

Message 6 of 10
MRWakefield

That's nothing like I was envisioning! Just goes to show how important an image or model is when posting a question.

Anyway... in the model workspace you can create a named view which is normal to your angled plane. You can then insert this view into your drawing.

2020-06-10.png

If this answers your question please mark the thread as solved as it can help others find solutions in the future.
Marcus Wakefield

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I've created a Windows application for creating custom thread files for Fusion. You can find out about it here. Hope you find it useful.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Message 7 of 10

I expect the real part has more features than this example.

If this answers your question please mark the thread as solved as it can help others find solutions in the future.
Marcus Wakefield

I've created a Windows application for creating custom thread files for Fusion. You can find out about it here. Hope you find it useful.

Message 8 of 10
M&GToolWorks
in reply to: MRWakefield

Thank you, I did not know that was even an option. 

For those in the future that may stumble upon the post looking for the same feature, here is a quick video on how to do a named view: 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/screencast/Main/Details/8a07ad4...

Message 9 of 10
MRWakefield

You're welcome, that's what we're all here for. By the way, this is what I thought you meant before you posted a model:

2020-06-10 (1).png

Marcus Wakefield

Message 10 of 10
M&GToolWorks
in reply to: MRWakefield

That ONE I figured out 😁

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report