Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving sketches between components in parametric mode? (with history enabled)

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
397 Views, 1 Reply

moving sketches between components in parametric mode? (with history enabled)

Hi!

As for general moving of things around: 

1, in direct editing mode, it all works fine.

if you'recapturing the history

2, the timeline has to be at the end for any of this to work 

3, but some thing are still not be possible to move between components it seems. 

___ 

This is the workflow I'm trying to solve:

Capturing root design history (maybe because I forgot to activate a sub component; happens) I make a sketch. Thus, any bodies I extrude are also in the root component. Now I want to make new component (easy, make component from the bodies) but I want the associated sketch to be in the new component with the bosy! How do I do that withough switching into direct editing mode and losing all the history? 

Any bright ideas please? Is this even possible in Fusion360? 

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
jeff_strater
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, you are correct.  Those are the current limitations of Fusion.  There are several threads on this:  moving-a-sketch-into-a-component-possible and move-sketch-from-one-component-to-another.

Restructure and end-of-design.  Yes, this is a limitation that is probably going to stick around for a bit longer than we all would like.  The reasons are complex, but the basic problem is that allowing this (in general cases) can result in failures in the model, specifically any references to the object that is restructured.  Imagine that you have a feature that performs an Extrude on sketch1 that is in Component1.  Then, you roll back before that Extrude, and move the sketch from Component1 to Component2.  When you roll forward again, and the Extrude is looking for Component1/sketch1, and won't find it.  Now, of course, that could be fixed.  As we say it's a "mere matter of programming".  But, we have a lot of requests to try to fulfill, and this one is not yet extremely high on the list.

The case of the sketch and a component built from it.  This one has been requested many times.  And it is a very reasonable request.  I run into it all the time.  We will definitely address soon (unfortunately, not in the release that is coming out this weekend).

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report