Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modifying McMASTER-CARR Parts

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
segallyscott
486 Views, 11 Replies

Modifying McMASTER-CARR Parts

I downloaded a part from mcmaster carr and would like to add some holes.  Cant get it to work.  Not sure if its possible or not. Below is a picture of what I'm trying to do.

segallyscott_0-1648841752658.png

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
engineguy
in reply to: segallyscott

@segallyscott 

If you click on the "Objects to cut" arrow and then select the model it should allow the cuts.

Always easier to upload the Fusion f3d file for folks to check on.

Also it is not really necessary to fully sketch all the holes, if they all have the same pcd you can just create a single hole in the solid and then do a Circular pattern, way faster and easier

Message 3 of 12
segallyscott

The part number is 43505k358. Boss isn't comfortable sending files here yet.  I see an objects to cut tab but when I click the arrow nothing pops up.

Message 4 of 12
engineguy

@segallyscott 

I don`t have an account with McMaster so I am unable to download the file.

Did you then select the Model after clicking the tab ??

Message 5 of 12
jhackney1972

I imported the same McMaster-Carr Flange into a model and created holes, either by patterning the existing holes or creating a new sketch and extruding new holes.  No issue at all.  Model I used in the Screencast is attached.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 6 of 12

Make sure that the flange has not been saved in a different file than the part/assembly you are currently editing. You can check that by looking at the name of the part in the part tree. If it has a flag next to it it's a part imported from an external file.

If keeping every part of an assembly in a different file in your project is your workflow, I would say that is suboptimal for Fusion. A screenshot of the entire screen would help more since you can't upload the actual file.

Message 7 of 12

An expanded view of your browser would have been useful. 
Does the component show as a local solid body within the design?

Message 8 of 12
segallyscott

I think I figured out my problem.  I was in assembly when I tried to make the drawing and cut.  When I'm in the individual part it seems to work fine but when I try to do it in assembly it doesn't work.  I've only been working with 3d modeling software for a handful of months.  

Message 9 of 12
jhackney1972

I hate to pop a hole in your theory but you need to realize that your statement is not correct.  In the Screencast I add a wire hole to McMaster-Carr screw heads in the context of the assembly.  It is not a good way to model but it can be done.  You main problem was never attaching your model to your Forum post so the users could take a look and find the real issue.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section of a forum post to attach it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 10 of 12

Again,
Do not create separate files for each part. Insert the McMaster-Carr part directly into your assembly. If you do no get used to this workflow you will seriously handicap yourself down the road.
Message 11 of 12

I don't agree with that, I actually made a part Library in Fusion for often used parts and each of the macmaster parts are their own components. Thats way better for my workflow. But what works for me doesn't neccessary work for someone else
Message 12 of 12

@Ex_Machina_Engineering 

I don’t agree.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report