Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeling Taper Threads

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
JackalopeMFG
194 Views, 2 Replies

Modeling Taper Threads

Hey guys,

So I am attempting to model a strange little interface to be 3D printed. I have done quite a bit of research and practice tutorial and am stumped. I know there is no direct function to do this, so I have been trying to use the project function to create the path the thread will follow and the plane along path to draw the thread geo on. This created something that looks like what I need, but I cannot figure out how to clean up the ends of the thread, or how to create the proper path shape thru projecting 2D geometry onto my tapered surface. I plan to create this male piece and cut the female from it for a proto type 3D print and then hopefully I can machine a mold for the injection shop. Any advice on how to create this geo properly would be great. I am going for a variable pitch approx. 1/4 turn thread. The idea is to push the female onto the male without needing to look at the threads, without needing much dexterity.

Thanks,

Sean

ugly threads.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jeff_strater
in reply to: JackalopeMFG

You will probably have to over-build the sweep a bit, and use Split Body, or even Extrude Cut to trim off the excess material.  One trick - it looks like the sweep twists a bit (it will do that with a 3D curve).  Try Sweep with guide surface to help with that.

If you are willing to share your model, we can play with it a bit...

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 3
hamid.sh.
in reply to: JackalopeMFG

@JackalopeMFG If you're content with the shape of your current thread and only trying to clean up ends this might help: At first build only the conic surface. Make it a bit longer at both ends. Perform your own thread creation procedure on this longer cone (with a longer path). Once you're done, cut the extra ends with Split Body, using two simple sketch lines. Now you'll have a cone with thread that has clean ends. Finally add your extrude and chamfer at the bigger end of the cone

A modified version what I suggested above is that you do it with Surface features which help you keep your current cone: Offset conic surface at 0 mm (using Surface Offset, not Solid). Use Ruled Surface to extend ends of this newly made conic surface. Make your thread on this surface (using a longer path). Split the generated thread with ends of the original cone as tools.

Hamid

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report