Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model from cross section and side pictures

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
402 Views, 4 Replies

Model from cross section and side pictures

Hi, I am quite a new to Fusion360 and 3d modelling and I am stuck trying to figure out this for couple of hours.

I have a broken collander handle, which I would like to model, in order to then create 3d printed patch to glue into it. The handle is kind of wide U shape, which is changing in width and also has slight bend along the bottom edge. I made 3 pictures to be able to trace the relevant shapes in Fusion360, but I am not able to figure out how to extrude the cross-section shape such that it follows the width profile and also bend.

I can import the images, scale them and trace the profile and the necessary curves, but I can't figure out how to then "stitch" it all together to extrude the whole shape. Thanks for hints or pointers.

SideSideTopTopCross-SectionCross-Section

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous 

Hope you are well. I have a link to a video here that may be useful to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUiIAb1YqeM

This guy is a really good. 

Let me know if this video helps or if you need any further tips.

Regards.

DB

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks @Anonymous for the link. I saw this video - that's where I learned how to calibrate the pictures and trace the lines. But he does not solve additional dimensions - he simply traces the flat image, extrudes it to some height and adds fillets.

Meanwhile (when I left computer...) I realised that perhaps I should model it differently:
(1) Import & calibrate the images.

(2) On the cross-section measure the base thickness.

(3) Then trace the side view and use the measured thickness to draw the invisible base thickness.

(4) Extrude the base, so that it would preserve the curvature from side view and measured thickness.

(5) Trace the top view and use it to cut extruded base to correct width.

(6) Match the cross-section to the side of base and trace just the side wall.

(7) Sweep the side-wall along the edge of the base.

Will try that.

Message 4 of 5
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

I can import the images, scale them and trace the profile and the necessary curves, but I can't figure out how to then "stitch" it all together to extrude the whole shape. 

File>Export and then Attach the *.f3d file of what you have completed so far.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Hi @TheCADWhisperer , with changed strategy which I highlighted in the previous comment, I was able to produce some result - which I am printing now to see how it fits. But I am attaching the current file anyway, in case you might suggest some better approaches (obviously, I am not spending the hours to repair a $1 collander, but to learn).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report