Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mirror duplication of box in sculpt

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1443 Views, 4 Replies

mirror duplication of box in sculpt

Dear AUTODESK community:

may I ask how to make a mirror duplicate of a half box in sculpt? 

which is shown below

Im totally newer in Fusion so Im not sure is it the right way to do like that. I create a box and modify it to fit the shape of utility knife in canvases. after I completed, just found out only the front part of box is modified so I delete the part behind and try to make a mirror duplicate of the part done. but i failed. and cuz its not a enclose form so error happened when I wanna click the "Finish Form". 

the only way I know how to fix it is trying to modify both side while im drawing. but just feel its hard to do that when I only focus on the front view of box. otherwise I have to spin it and click some lines or shapes which cannot be simply enclosed by mouse. 

very appreciated if anyone can answer my question.

Cheers

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 4.24.09 pm.pngScreen Shot 2018-05-01 at 4.25.03 pm.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
bharamk
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi wleng1,

As I have understood from your question, I am assuming here that you would like to mirror some of the faces in the body1 visible in the first image and after performing Mirror Duplicate you have a problem in Finish Form.

Mirror Duplicate works on the bodies only, you can't mirror faces in the fusion by selecting half body.

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 9.20.36 PM.png

Weld option in the Mirror Duplicate command will join the bodies if they intersect within the specified tolerance. If the tolerance does not match then you may see an error while performing "Finish form".

Here, let's consider another case if bodies are not intersecting with each other and some of the faces are open even after mirror, then you will need to perform Bridge operation. A bridge will connect two T-spline bodies provided the number of edges or faces on each side must be equal or a multiple of each other.

Please visit http://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=GUID-E5C5927D-C0EB-42F7-A375-07F9C12F046C to know more about the Bridge command.

Also, note that while performing Mirror Duplicate if the faces, edges or points are not coplanar then there are chances of errors while performing "Finish Form", I would recommend you to use Flatten command to make vertices coplanar. Please visit http://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=GUID-5CD2E362-E9A5-4B0D-B856-2058D7926900 to know more about Flatten command.

In case if you still have questions or doubts on Mirror Duplicate topic please reply back by attaching your part.

If my reply was helpful, Please give me a "Kudo" or Click the "Accept as Solution" button below (or Both).

Best Regards,

Ketan Bharamgunde

Software QA Engineer

Thanks & Regards,
Ketan Bharamgunde
Sr.SW Eng.Test

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 5
laughingcreek
in reply to: Anonymous

Here are the steps.

Select all the points along what will become the middle line, and "flatten" them, using the same plane you used for your reference drawing as the plane reference.

Then use the "mirror duplicate" command, and again use the same plane for the mirror plane.

In the future, you can apply the "internal mirror" to a symmetrical sculpt body,  or even setup mirror at the same time you create your initial sculpt shape in the dialog box for the primitive.  Then all changes you make to one side will be mirrored to the other automatically.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: bharamk

Thank u for ur replying, Ketan.

yeah, I was wondering if it is a wrong command to duplicate the face of body and now it's clear. thank u

but the reason I wanna duplicate the half face is because the other part at back view is still as original after the front shape modification is done.

is there a way can modify both sides of box together?

cheers

Wei.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: laughingcreek

Thank u for ur help,

just tried the "internal mirror"  which could absolutely fix my problem. yeah, actually the reason I used duplication here is just an alternatives about how to modify the face at both sides simultaneously. thank u

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report