Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

measuring tool

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
burnandreturn
447 Views, 8 Replies

measuring tool

Has it always been this way or is it the latest update causing me to have to select two points on a short line in order to use the measure tool?

If I hover over a line the entire line highlights. If I click on the line I should get a length measurement.  On the model I just opened it worked on a 20mm long line.  On a 6mm line or 3mm line I have to select the end points individually to get the measurement.  Not good.

The idea to have an automatic measurement appear when you hover over a line(for instance) was placed in the idea station and received a lot of responses.  Why hasn't this feature been implemented yet?  To get a simple measurement and having to jump through hoops is such a waste of time.  

This is why Fusion is frustrating in so many ways.   Simple things get put back in favor of glitzy shiney things.  Why not fix the things that don't work first?  Bugs galore in Fusion.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: burnandreturn

I noticed this the other day. You will still be able to select the 6mm and 3mm lines if you zoom in. You can also long press and select "edge" from the popup list. It seems like something changed that makes Fusion more prone to selecting points vs lines. I don't recall being able to select midpoints before, so perhaps things went weird when they added that.

Message 3 of 9

Hey burnandreturn,

Jason is correct. The latest update introduced snap points in the measure command (similar to the snaps in the joint command). From your description it sounds like on the shorter lines, Fusion is picking up end points and on the longer lines, you've got room to breath and pick the entire line or end points or mid points.

When measure is active, you can hold <shift> to disable the snaps and select the entire line or you can zoom in as Jason suggested. Let me know if this isn't what your describing.

Patrick Miller

User Experience Designer
Fusion 360 Learning
Message 4 of 9
bmxjeff

I feel the measuring tool has taken a step backward on this last update. I use the 3D mouse, and now I have to hold "Shift" down to get any usable measurement. And I can't measure from a circles edge to a flat surface anymore. If I I need to measure the relationships from feature to feature, I guess I'll pull out the old calculator or start a sketch. This tool is suppose to keep me from doing that. 

Am I missing something? 

Thanks!

Jeff Hooper (Owner)
Hooper Machine and Design
[X] AUTODESK AMATUR ORDINARY
Message 5 of 9
patrick.miller
in reply to: bmxjeff

Hey Jeff,

All the 'old' stuff is there (select an edge or select a face) in addition to the snaps. The only exception might be if you are zoomed out far and have to use select other or shift to get to the edge (the short line described in the OP). You can still measure from a circle to a face without using shift. The intent is added goodness and not taking away functionality.

circle to face.png

Patrick Miller

User Experience Designer
Fusion 360 Learning
Message 6 of 9
bmxjeff
in reply to: patrick.miller

Patrick,

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the intent! When I get home, hopefully I can use my Un-updated version of Fusion to compare the tools. : )  In the video link attached, notice how the dimension is not displayed. Also, in the old version, the order in which the two selections were made would change the results. If you selected a Face first, the following point or arc would be measured perpendicular to the face or cylinder.  Now, the order is not relevant, and it's harder to get those results based on the delta. (When measuring a face or cylinder to a vertex or geo line / arc.) 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3iuw1asdyb57rq/TEST.mp4?dl=0 

Jeff Hooper (Owner)
Message 7 of 9

I received an E-mail asking if I received the answer I was looking for.........NO I did not!

Why would anyone think it is a good thing to have more keystrokes or clicks to acomplish anything.   What should happen and it was in the idea station and received a lot of responses is to just have to mouse over a line, etc. and get a measurement displayed on the bottom of the design window.  I use SpaceClaim and GeoMagic and both do that.  OnShape does it also.  A huge time saver.  Especially those of us that use a program to actually created something original and then actually produce the product.

Message 8 of 9
bmxjeff

Burnandreturn,

Settle down. I'm not a fan of the measuring tool in Fusion. But fusion is a much better product than Spaceclaim or Geomagic. I'm sorry you have to use those. GeoMagic suggests we use GibbsCam. Years ago I used it, but never again. Talk about wasted clicks.. And time I could have used to hang myself.

Fusion360, I may not like your measuring tool, but I will adapt. You are still a young product with time and room to grow. In the meantime, thank you for giving me an infinitely better software solution than Geomagic or GibbsCam. And, for saving me 20k.

Jeff Hooper (Owner)
Message 9 of 9

Have you actually used SpaceClaim for any length of time?   The reason I ask is I don't think there is anything faster to model with than SpaceClaim.   As far as the CAM side there is no arguement there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report