Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Library missing

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
cekuhnen
1116 Views, 11 Replies

Material Library missing

Second time after a re-install that Fusion 360 looses the materials.

I see a notification warning but I cannot figure out how to repair this problem.

I tried downloading some custom materials but the dowbload failed.

Creating a basic own material worked but I was not able to see the mesh in shaded mode after all.

Here are some screenshots:

OS X Mavericks MacBookPro 2010

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 11.05.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2013-12-04 at 11.24.10 AM.png

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: cekuhnen

I had this happen a couple of times on OSX, where the materials library disappeared- well, it was actually there but Fusion could not see it.  The only fix I came up with was to completely delete the Fusion installation and re-install from scratch, which is actually not that hard.  My custom materials libraries were still there, but I had to re-download the Autodesk materials.  It has not happened since. It seems to have been a corruption issue related to version changes.

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 3 of 12
jakefowler

Hi Claas,

Very sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. We've been in discussion with the development team about this, but we haven't been able to nail down what's happening here yet.

As Ron suggested, a clean uninstall may well fix this; but it might also be good to find out if there's something we can do to prevent this from happening in future.

Are you still seeing this issue now? If so, a few things that would be useful to know:

• Did you ever see a message saying that Fusion 360 couldn't load the material library? This is what we would generally expect to see if the material library were damaged or missing.
  • When you open the materials browser, do you see materials listed there? If so, do they have any effect when applied?

Many thanks!

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 4 of 12
cekuhnen
in reply to: jakefowler

It happened to me few times already and as Ron mentioned uninstalling and installing it was the only way to fix it.

When I opened the material browser the was a warning icon the the lib is missing.

When I created my own that material was in there but I was not able with that newly created material to shade the object.

Claas

Claas Kuhnen

Message 5 of 12
jakefowler

Hi Claas,

Thanks for those details & the update, and glad that you're up and running again. If you encounter this again, let us know and we can do a deeper investigation to see if there's any way we can prevent this from happening (you can feel free to contact myself or anyone on the team by email).

I'll feed this info to the dev team, and we'll keep working on it here to see if we can create an environment that reproduces the problem.

Many thanks again,

Jake

Jake Fowler
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 6 of 12
cekuhnen

Hi Jake

I encountered this actually I think 3 or 4 times already on different mashines (Macbook and iMac).

Next time it happens I will let you know.

Claas

Claas Kuhnen

Message 7 of 12
jakefowler

Many thanks Claas, really appreciate it!

The development team are going to create some diagnostic code to hopefully help analyse this problem when it next occurs. There's another piece information that will help the team analyse the issue: did you start seeing the problem immediately after installation? Or had you been using Fusion 360 following installation without any problems, and then after some time this issue suddenly appeared?

Thanks again,
Jake

Jake Fowler
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 8 of 12
cekuhnen

Hi Jake

It Bennett happened right after an installation but only after using it for some time. I don't recall if maybe it happened after I needed to force quite fusion or if I'd happened after normally shutting down the application.

Claas

Claas Kuhnen

Message 9 of 12
Oceanconcepts

Jake,

Here is an older thread describing what I experienced, which sounds very similar, if not the same.  It was after an installation, and after a lock up of the Mac system.  I had been using Fusion fine previously.   Http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Get-Help-with-Fusion-360/Materials-missing-after-last-update/td-p/4368...

- Ron

Message 10 of 12
jakefowler
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

Many thanks, Claas and Ron. Really appreciate the extra info: this might be an important lead. I'll let you know if there's anything else the development team need to know.

Thanks!
Jake

Jake Fowler
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 11 of 12
Oceanconcepts

I have had another incident with materials, but a little different.  I had left Fusion open for a few days- at some point I noticed it was not running- not sure how it quit, or why. It could possibly have been a power interruption here. At any rate, when I restarted Fusion, and opened my design, I got the error message I received earlier when my materials library went AWOL. 

Fusion 360 Materials missing.jpg

However, the materials library seems to be intact, though some ( but only some) of the bodies/ components in my design have lost their materials.  Earlier incidents resulted in the loss of all materials. I tried reassigning materials, which mostly worked. 

But there is one component I seem unable to assign materials to- even though I had done so before and can do so with other, identical components.  There are two bodies, each with different materials. When I select either of the bodies in the browser, they are highlighted. But as soon as I select Materials, the highlighting changes to an outline, and while the Materials selection interface comes up, nothing gets assigned. The same thing happens if I select at the component level.  I suspect there is something in the interface I'm not getting.  I have no problem assigning materials to other identical subcomponents nested in the same component.

- Ron

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

I am having the same problem on a Windows machine. If I edit an existing drawing I get the default material only (steel). If I make a new drawing I get no materials - juat a wire frame. If I try to downlowd the Materials Exchange I get "Download Failed"

Otherwise liking fusion 360

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report