Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making a Loft Bed Frame

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
1801 Views, 19 Replies

Making a Loft Bed Frame

First things first; this is the first time I've ever used CAD software for anything. I do have experience in 3D modelling via Garry's Mod, Gimp/paint, and LEGO Digital designer, and several years of experience with the first and last.

This bed frame was first born in Garry's Mod, and has gone through many different alterations, however, I keep running into snags involving the limitations and conversions from the game to real life. Some friends of mine persuaded me to try using this software instead as I do intend to build it IRL, and my first day with it was pretty good.

My father is also an experienced woodworker and has decent experience with metal. I've learned a few things from him. He also gives me advice on the design of the project, and he will be helping me build it, once I've got the measurements and materials list, which is where fusion 360 comes in.

Before I go into detail, I should mention, I do intend on making it stable enough to hold two people moving around on the bed. As such, stability for this project is priority 1. This implies that it will be very heavy for a bed frame. I understand it will also be quite expensive, but I am ready, willing and able. Most of the people I've shown and described this project to go bug-eyed at it's size, and proposed weight and cost(especially for the previous version that used metal), so I give fair warning, prepare yourself.

For those of you who do not know, a loft bed is a bunk bed but with open space underneath to fit what the user might need, I.E. a desk, bookshelf, or couch. I am putting a medium sized couch underneath it, as well as a couple shelves.

I got the Mattress(queen size) and posts(4x4s) made just like I imagine, using Lars' tutorial for absolute beginners.

I started working on the feet(a pair of 6x6's connecting two of the posts to the posts, for counterweight purposes and stability) and things got complicated. For one, I started with the mattress for a reference point, so the grid is 4.5ft above the bottom of the project, where I need it to be.

This makes the 6x6's creation harder than it should be. For example, the 4x4's were made to their maximum, uncut length as a reference point to the project's height.

I understand I am probably going about this the wrong way, and I am asking the experts how I can fix the problems I am experiencing.

I will post pictures later, but it is way past my "bed" time, so I will start with my most apparent problems first, and elaborate when I wake up.

1. How do I change the height of the grid without changing the height of the mattress or any other piece?

2. The initial design of the bed was for a full size mattress, but I've upgraded to a queen for it's width, which will make it more stable. I am starting a new project based on an old design, so there will be much room for advice. I will post pictures of all relevant versions later(made in Garry's Mod).

3. The frame's first priority is to be stable enough to support two adults moving around on the mattress. It's second priority is to be able to be taken apart to move it out of the room it will be in, which is in dire need of space, which this frame will provide by moving the bed and couch into the same area. It's third priority is to be silent. The sound of creaking makes me cringe, so my first solution is to put rubber grommets between all relevant surfaces. I am up for alternatives!

4. The snag I hit that pushed me to make this post is that I created the posts first, put a 1x6x6 block at the outside edge of a 4x4, shortened said 4x4 by 3 inches(the 4x4 posts will all be sunk 3-4 inches into the 6x6 and bolted through, twice), and used press pull to extend the 1x6x6 to the opposite 4x4. This made a 3"x3" channel in the 6x6 lengthwise. I used press-pull again to fill the channel and the opposite 1" edge of the 6x6. I expected the program to change the pulls into a solid object, but it did not. I know I am doing something wrong here, and I would gladly accept any help and advice.

5. I am VERY NEW to CAD software, so any help is appreciated!

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
g-andresen
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

1. please show please faithfully the principle: " 1 picture says more than thousand words", some pictures (screenshot) of your design.

2. Please share your design or recreate special situation.

günther

Message 3 of 20
TheCADWhisperer

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous

The attached file is the current progress of the project, and the biggest bottleneck. As I stated before, the grid is 5 or so feet above the bottom of the project, where i need it to be. How do I change the height? How do I make pieces on the project without them combining into one?

These screenshots are of previous versions.

This is a closeup of the snag I'd hit. I made the 6x6 by starting at the far 4x4's outside edge and used push-pull to extend it to the opposite(near) 4x4. This made a channel between the two 4x4's, which was filled using push-pull. i used push pull to flatten the near end of the 6x6. This turned the two 4x4s and 6x6 into one body, and it would not let me turn the 6x6's corrections into single surfaces. the red lines highlight the problem.

These are screenshots of the Garry's Mod project.

Version 1, using lots of straight 2x4s.
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/770611889396984387/B9E52F8BBC093D15DD117BC7D1FBA7A271AE18...

Version 1B, replacing lots of straight 2x4s with crossed 2x4s connecting the corners of the frame.
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/768361389113781404/8697E90C8494CB23C8156FECF5B3696F9C6C4A...

Version 2, using steel 2x2 tubing and bolts, prioritizing stability.
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1459680293198602649/B356D9F09B18CCDA094650E63204AAC14A337...

Version 2B, reducing the amount of metal, using wooden 8x8 beams as feet to make it less top heavy.
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1459680469900852389/336E688956ABBA0119BC7FF396DE246B08FC7...

The final version will look something like the old versions.

Message 5 of 20
TheCADWhisperer

Do you have Capture Design History turned on?

If not, why not?

Message 6 of 20
g-andresen

Hi,

why don't you share the f3d file?
from the pictures we can't see any connection to your approach in Fusion.

günther

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

What is capture? How do I know if it is turned on? How do I turn it on or off?

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: g-andresen

How do I find the f3d file?

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous

I really wish people would bother to read the stuff I spend so long writing. I understand people don't like walls of text, but I make walls of text for the express purpose that I do not risk leaving questions unanswered in the occasion that I fix a problem myself.

The paragraphs I made in the very first post explain everything I am experiencing.

Before I post the f3d file, please tell me how to adjust the height of the grid.

Message 10 of 20
g-andresen

Hi,

@Anonymous wrote:

How do I find the f3d file?

1. active Design > File > Export > save as f3d on a local device > attach it to your next post  

or  rightclick your design (Top of your Browser) > Export .......

günther

Message 11 of 20
davebYYPCU

I believe that things go unanswered because the problem is not understood.

In this case, I have no idea about your grid.

You added a photo, It has four brown timber posts, a grey horizontal mattress? the sketch grid, aligned to the bottom of the posts, and the normal File Origin - maybe.

Are you asking to move, the sketch grid, (lots of small squares)

The grey body

or the origin planes (mostly orange).

Three possibles, and

I will understand the problem with extrudes and press pulls when I can see the file.  

Not attached, nothing to see.

Might help...

Message 12 of 20
g-andresen

Hi,

1. advice on a question is best given at the concrete object
2. it is easier for the consultant not to have to create such an object himself, but to be able to access a template.

günther

Message 13 of 20
g-andresen

Hi,

@Anonymous wrote:

What is capture? How do I know if it is turned on? How do I turn it on or off?

take some time and watch this tutorial from @jhackney1972 

günther

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: g-andresen

I watched the tutorial and will definitely be looking at it later, thank you!
Yes, the timeline is on. I've attached the f3d file to this reply.

By grid, I mean the only grid visible in the screenshots, the one aligned with the bottom of the mattress, as can be determined by the red and green lines.

The version in the attached file does not have the problematic 6x6 shown in the screenshot, as it is a slightly older version where I was going to attach the 6x6 to the outer edge. I scrapped it for the design in the screenshot, which no longer exists because I saved over it with an older version in an attempt to start over.

I know that most of my problems may be fixed when the grid in question is adjusted to it's proper position, but in the meantime, I would like to know how to make the parts without the connections turning them into a single body. This is essential, as I will be making duplicates of certain parts and sections, moving them around and adjusting their dimensions as I make progress on the design.

Message 15 of 20
davebYYPCU

The grid you mention is actually the Origin, Document Origin (visible), It and all the Component Origins (not visible) are in the same place.

You can move the component, and the origin for that component will move too.  You can not move the Document origin.

cmto.PNG

All your bodies are separate, the first post, is made from 2 Extrudes, one will do it, but that second Extrude of the pair is set to join - looks ok from here.

Might help....

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Edit, it seems I've semi-fixed the problem, but I had to move the whole project. The grid is now where I want it to be.
On the other hand, how do I start bodies that aren't on the document origin grid without combining the new body with the body used as the starting surface?

An example is, I want to make a 6x6 that connects two of the 4x4s. When I start a new sketch for a solid body, any non-connected reference point I can use(the grid I NEED) disappears. It should go as such;

1. Shorten 4x4 posts to final length and shape

2. Draw sketch of 6x6 using document origin as starting point

3. Extrude sketch into 3d space to make 6x6

4. Finish.

Instead, I will have to use some weird method to put the 4x4s into the 6x6. How should I do this?

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous

I've finished the 6x6s, but I need to make a few joints. I will be using many joints in the project, but I've no idea how to get joints working. Are there different types of fasteners I can use in the program? If so, how do I use them?

The attached file is a screenshot of the current progress,  The 4x4s are not at the final length. I have raised them up so the joint can be seen. The idea, currently, is that the 4x4s will be sunk 3 inches into the 6x6, with four bolts going completely through the 4x4s and 6x6s, one and a third of an inch apart, possibly with rivets and 1/8th inch metal strips around the edges, the rivets and metal strips for looks.

I think I can find most of these materials on my own, but it would be a huge help for someone with experience in woodworking to suggest some fasteners that would be best for this type of project. The thing is that I want it to be easily taken apart when I move it, so no lag bolts, screws, welding or glue.

Message 18 of 20
davebYYPCU

To make a touching extrude not Join, select New Body, and it won't join.

Or you just hide the body that will be touching, Fusion can't see it, can't join it.

Sketch the 6x6 where is is going to be, extrude it, with nothing else visible, it can not join to anything else.

Might help....

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: davebYYPCU

1. How do I use the orbit function without having to press the onscreen button?

2. Can I make it so the grid shows over all surfaces at all times? If so, how?

3. Can I make it so hovering over a corner will tell me the distance between two points? If so, how?

4. Can I measure the distance between a surface and the ground more easily than the inspect function?

5. How do I change the controls and settings for Fusion 360? I assume that the answer to this question will answer this as well, but if not, how do I view the hotkeys and shortcuts?

6. Why, when drawing a sketch, does the cursor not snap to the edge points?

Message 20 of 20
Anonymous

After some looking around, I found a method suitable for me. Basically, I copied, moved and modified to make it. The shape is mostly finished, but I need to figure out how to;

1. Make lap joints

2. Cut pieces based on intersecting pieces

3. Find some fastener models or make my own

I still have not figured out how to do any of the things in my last post. I would greatly appreciate it if someone would answer those questions too.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report