Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lock Icon on Sketch

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
tranq006
2028 Views, 11 Replies

Lock Icon on Sketch

Hello All,

Quick and probably simple question. What does the little red lock next to the sketch icon mean? In this case, on the "HoleRef" icon. See attached picture Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
laughingcreek
in reply to: tranq006

The lock means the sketch is "fully defined"

A sketch will be fully defined when you have applied enough constraints and dimensions to, well, fully define it.  you won't be able to free drag anything.  (and the skethc will be more stable).  Usually a good thing

An empty sketch will also be "fully defined" 

Message 3 of 12
tranq006
in reply to: laughingcreek

Got it. Thanks!

Message 4 of 12

can I ask how you can edit it? or remove the lock?  I also don't remember doing this. nor would I know how. how does this occur?

Message 5 of 12
jeff_strater

please see message #2 above - the lock does not indicate that it cannot be edited, only that the sketch is fully constrained.  This is a good thing - it is desirable for all of your sketches to always be fully constrained.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 6 of 12
magpiemachining

no it cant be edited and no its not a good thing at the moment anyway. . I right click and there is no edit option.

Message 7 of 12

here's the file 

Message 8 of 12
jeff_strater

that has nothing to do with the lock icon.  If a sketch cannot be edited, it almost always means that it is owned by a Base Feature (or Mesh Feature, or Form Feature), and you have to edit that feature first, then edit the sketch.  But, that is just speculation.  Unless we can see the design, we can't tell for sure.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 9 of 12

thanks for the design.  Yes, the sketch Lower Plate, is, indeed, owned by a  Base Feature, and you have to edit that first in order to edit the sketch.  But, be aware - base feature sketches are not associative to any features, so editing them will not update your design.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 10 of 12
magpiemachining

thats makes sense now. i don't like it but it makes sense. kind makes me have to do more work to the design like that. ii was only needing to extrude a few surfaces and change the size of the hole. I guess to avoid all that and this sketch issue,  just make a note what size hole goes where. I mean who knows this? any reason this happens? I use these sketches as layers are used in other cam systems, I really cant remember having this problem here before. lately the updates aren't doing so swift , maybe that's has something to do with it?

Message 11 of 12
jeff_strater

This has nothing to do with any update.  This behavior has been constant for 5 years or more.  As to how this happens, it is impossible to say, since your design does not have any history to reference.  It could be that this was imported geometry (which comes in without history), and you possibly created sketches while still in Direct Modeling.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 12 of 12

I did notice I can edit a sketch in the tree with the lock on it but not the other. One is also missing from the history. I normally copy sketches and edit on any of them. this is different somehow. thanx for looking and your input. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report