Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking multiple sketces

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
erikmcclain
257 Views, 2 Replies

Linking multiple sketces

I was wondering if there was a way to dimension a feature in one sketch equal to a feature in a differnt sketch.

An example of this is say you have two sketches one for a main part with bolt holes, and you have a part that attaches to it that you also have a seperate sketch for with matching bolt holes.

Now you always want the bolt holes to match, if you need to modify the hole location in one part it would be nice for the second sketch to follow suit automaticaly.  

So essentialy the x dimension in sketch 2 could be set equal to the x dimension of sketch 1 so if you change 1, sketch 2 changes too.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: erikmcclain

Hi,

Yes you can. In fact there are several ways to do so.

You could create a sketch for your new part on top of the existing part, and use 'Project' to copy a face, edge, or point into your new sketch. This is then referenced so that if you change the location or size it will also change in the new sketch (and therefore in any feature that uses that sketch)

Secondly you can reference a diameter by typing in its number. If you hover over a dimension in a sketch, in addition to its value, it also have a number like 'd14' or 'd05' etc. remember that number from a sketch you want to reference and in a new sketch instead of typing 'xx inch' type d(number)

Also, if you go to Modify > Parameters, you will see a list of all the dims and values used in your model, and at the bottom you can create your own parameters. Create one and call it for example 'bolt_diameter' and give it a value x. Then in diameter sketch instead of a value, type 'bolt_diameter' and it will take on that value. if you then go to your parameter and change value x, they will all update.

I hope that helps, let us know if you have any further questions!

Niels

Message 3 of 3
erikmcclain
in reply to: erikmcclain

Wow thanks taking the time to type all that! I knew there had to be a way was having a hard time phrashing to to Google in a way that would get me an answer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report