Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lining up a new sketch precisely with an existing shape

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
atdNMH7S
234 Views, 3 Replies

Lining up a new sketch precisely with an existing shape

I'm working with a box-type object and am cutting out areas on various panels. I'm trying to do an extrusion on one panel, but am having a hard time getting it to line up precisely with the existing panel. I'm doing the following:

-- Click on existing panel, create a sketch, create a 2-point rectangle

-- Click on one corner of the existing panel to start the new rectangle there, then drag out to create the new rectangle

-- Do an extrusion with "cut" selected as the operation in order to cut out the defined portion of the existing panel

No matter how carefully I select the starting point for the new sketch, I always seem to be a bit off, and a sliver of unwanted material remains after I do the extrusion.

Do I need to enable something like a "snap to feature" selection before I draw the new rectangle? When I hover over the existing panel's corner to start the new rectangle, I don't see a dot appear over the panel's corner to verify that it's precise on the corner.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jhackney1972
in reply to: atdNMH7S

Just a guess. since you did not submit a model, it sounds like you are not using the "Project" command to obtain a vertex from existing geometry.  Please submit your model and the Forum users can help you out.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section, of a forum post, to attach it.

Project.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 4
jeff_strater

My guess is that you do not have this preference enabled:

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 3.45.34 PM.png

with this option on, you would not have to manually project geometry into the sketch - the geometry from the face you sketched on will automatically be projected into the sketch, and you should be able to snap the corner of the rectangle precisely to this line in the sketch.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 4
atdNMH7S

Thanks to both posters for the suggested solutions. I suspect that either would work, but I happened to implement jeff.strater's first and it fixed my problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report