Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

line divides surface

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
kmanuele
453 Views, 11 Replies

line divides surface

Beginner question:

I have a very simple 'L' shaped object with orthogonal faces. If I sketch a line on the 'top' surface in the XZ plane, it divides the face into two areas. Draw a line on any another face, and there is no division.

I note that this top surface has a black border when I hover over it, whereas all others are white -- if this is relevant.

??

thanks

Kevin

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: kmanuele

File>Export and then Attach your *.f3d file here that exhibits this behavior.

I think I know exactly what you are seeing, but it might be easier to explain the behavior with your actual file.

Message 3 of 12
kmanuele
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

File is attached.

Line in question is on 'top' surface, dividing that surface. A second line
on another face does not divide the surface.

Thanks for the support

Kevin

Message 4 of 12
TheCADWhisperer

Q. Do you see a file Attached here?  (Tip: You cannot attach files via email reply - you must use the forum web browser interface.)

Message 5 of 12
kmanuele

Sorry, attached my file to your email.

trying again

Kevin 

Message 6 of 12
TheCADWhisperer

I have just started creating some very basic beginner tutorials.

I recommend you do these two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf1FUCs-dNw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll6hsd0aShg

let me know if you have any trouble.

Then you should go through the built-in Fusion tutorials.

Do you have a reference for the design that you are attempting?

Message 7 of 12
kmanuele

Will the tutorials explain the phenomena I am seeing?

re: reference for the design. No, it is just an arbitrary shape I created by combining two rectangular blocks. Irrelevant to the question at hand.

Message 8 of 12
TheCADWhisperer

There was no need for you to create two separate bodies, move together and then join.

Your sketches were not fully defined - dimension sketches and they should turn black.

It appeared to me that you started with a 2D sketch and then proceeded to 3D sketch, but I didn't look very closely as from what I did see I would describe as "unconventional" modeling techniques typical of what I see from a beginner who has not gone through the Tutorials.

If you had a defined problem it would be easier for me to guide you in conventional/robust modeling techniques.

Message 9 of 12
g-andresen

Hi Kevin

not the body surface is divided but the sketch lying on it.

sketch profile vs. body facesketch profile vs. body face

gĆ¼nther

Message 10 of 12
laughingcreek

When you selected the face to put the sketch on it, the edges of the face where projected into the sketch, even though you can't see them. drawing the 2d line divided it into 2 seperate profiles, so they show up when you hover the mouse over them.

the second line is technically a 3d line, as on point is drawn off the plane of the sketch.  the edges of that face aren't projected because that's not the face you used to create the sketch.

I don't know why the folks at fusion though having invisible projected lines would be a good idea, or why it's still a default preference selection.  I've yet to hear a good explanation.

This whole projecting thing has been the subject of a good bit of discussion, and I suspect the majority of experienced users don't like it, and turn it off in their perseverance.  Un-check the indicated box and you won't get this behavior on new sketches.

auto project.JPG

Message 11 of 12
kmanuele
in reply to: laughingcreek

thanks, got it - sort of.

Leave it to me to immediately step into a controversy šŸ™‚

and thanks for the "auto..." tip

Kevin

Message 12 of 12
kmanuele
in reply to: g-andresen

Understand, now.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report