Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joints limit problems

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
javelin_exile
327 Views, 5 Replies

Joints limit problems

I have a motion study I need to do. and this assembly is a problem (it's inside another assembly) I think it's because of some issue with my joint limits. I was using Revolute 7 to rotate the right side to land on top of the left side and it works but it's possible for the 2 slider joints to go too far if you move it too quickly. When I use a motion study where the part is being used it turns inside out immediately. I can;t seem to set other motion limits without an error.  See attached.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

I didn't get very far into this in order to directly answer the question.  the first thing I noticed was that you had a LOT of position captures in your timeline.  assemblies of this nature shouldn't have ANY position captures in the timeline.

One of the reasons is that there is a lot of over head involved with computing each of those captures, and that can effect the performance of calculating joint movement.  this is likely causing the jumping your seeing.

another reason is that it can kill or hinder the parametric nature of a model.  for instance in at least one case (and probably others) you positioned a component thru a non-parametric process (align, move, drag? who knows, these aren't captured in timeline), captured the position, and then made a sketch outside of the component based on that.  supper bad practice, and can be a real head scratcher when it comes time to trouble shoot issues.

I suggest you redo the model, not using any position captures, and then revisit this problem (which may magically disappear as a result of using good modeling practices). 

Message 3 of 6

You are exactly right I'm sure. I had a lot of trial and error to get this mechanism to work and I don't have good habits firmly in place.

Message 4 of 6

Man .. ok so I exported this assembly to .step, opened it again, turned on capture history, and put new joints everywhere, now it's frozen if it's all linked and I can't tell why. Its joint called cylindrical 9 caused it. it's not frozen with that joint suppressed.

Thought this would clean it up and go smoothly now I have no idea what went wrong

Message 5 of 6

you've got 2 problems-

axis of this joint is incorrect-

laughingcreek_0-1702670948905.png

and this joint should be to the slider, not the fixed pad-

laughingcreek_1-1702670989429.png

Message 6 of 6

Thank you that was it and it works normally now I'll try it in the other assembly

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report