Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint on derived parts does not update

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
oyvindTMNSU
540 Views, 13 Replies

Joint on derived parts does not update

If I "insert derive" into an assembly, make a joint between the derived components sketch and the a sketch in the assembly file. Then i open the derived file and change the size of the component (for example make a square sketch bigger or smaller), and then go back to the assembly file to update it. The joint does not update, and the derived part is off.

Any solutions? Seems like a bug?

Tags (2)
Labels (4)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Can you share a design that exhibits this problem ?

EESignature

Message 3 of 14

Here you go

Message 4 of 14

Based on this video from 19:00 and further

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpFSoPLSaag

Message 5 of 14

There is definitely something strange going on here!

@ryan.bales @jodom4 can you check this out ?

EESignature

Message 6 of 14
ryan.bales
in reply to: oyvindTMNSU

This is strange, if you place a sketch point or a joint origin it does update with the correct fixed location. Also for me, clearing the selection and re-picking that point seems to keep it fixed. It was doing it when i first open the file but any of those things cleared it up. I could not speculate why it was broken at first. 

Ryan Bales
Fusion 360 Product Support
Message 7 of 14
oyvindTMNSU
in reply to: ryan.bales

You mean if you update the joint manually after changing the size of the sketch, it does work?

I know that work but I thought it should update automatically when changing the sketch in the derived component

Message 8 of 14
ryan.bales

No i mean if i just save the derive model and 'get all latest' it updates the size and maintains the joint location.

Ryan Bales
Message 9 of 14
oyvindTMNSU

Does it? Not in my fusion 🤔 even if you change the dimensions in the derived file again? I even tried to make a new file, both the derive file and assembly file. And got the same problem.

@TrippyLighting did you get it to work as well?

Message 10 of 14

@oyvindTMNSU wrote:

Does it? Not in my fusion 🤔 even if you change the dimensions in the derived file again?

Nope,  in my tests it did not work either. I got it to snap to the correct position once, but then editing the assembly sketch it got out of line again.

If I delete and re-create the joint it works.

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
ryan.bales
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Let me watch the video again and see if there is anything else i missed.

Ryan Bales
Message 12 of 14
ryan.bales

I rewatched from that point, then retested it. It does not work if i go right into the sketch or modify the parameter of the derived model. This is what i understand, both of you are facing. 

From there, i edited the joint, repicked the snap of component 1 back to the corner vertex and it works from there on out. I can certainly log this with the team to investigate,(edit: logged as FUS-89887) they may be able to track down why it doesn't work from the start. But to date and in all my testing i've always been able to make it work by:

• Recreating the joint
  • Repicking the snap (or a new snap like the joint origin/point)

Ryan Bales
Message 13 of 14
oyvindTMNSU

Thats right.

I also get it to work if I recreate the joint or edit the joint by choosing the snap point over again. But fusion should understand the change without me need to do that manually? 🤔 i think that should absolutely be possible! Yes please, report that

Message 14 of 14
oyvindTMNSU

@ryan.bales @TrippyLighting  I found the solution! 
Seems like there is a right and wrong way to select the joint point. See my attached screen share with additional explanation. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report