Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint doesn't move

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
jacobHEJBN
333 Views, 8 Replies

Joint doesn't move

I have a slider joint that I want to move in an assembly. It is not moving and I think it should. Here are the steps to reproduce:

1. Before the constraint is created the part drags freely

2. In the process of creating the joint the animate button shows the joint slides as expected so I hit okay

3. Now the joint will not move with a mouse drag as if it were a rigid joint even though in Joints folder it says it is a "Slider" joint

4. Play with the joint limits, still nothing

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jhackney1972
in reply to: jacobHEJBN

The Forum users will need your model to troubleshoot your issue.  Surely it is something else in your assembly causing it.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section, of a forum post, to attach it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 9
jacobHEJBN

Unfortunately I can't post the file since it is proprietary. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Message 4 of 9
jhackney1972

Joints will animate as they are created regardless of what they will do after placement so that is not proof that they will function in the assembly.  Look at other components that are constrained to the component that has the slider joint and Suppress other joints applied to them until you find the problem.

The other suggestion, which may help, create a Screencast of your process.  So the connecting component(s) joints and illustrate their motion during the recording.

Other than these suggestions, you will probably have to wait for an Autodesk employee to respond as they are under a non-disclosure agreement by default.  You will be able to send the model to them.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 5 of 9
jacobHEJBN

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately I am still facing the issue and don't see what could be causing it. The entire assembly is rigidly constrained before adding a motion type constraint. I've tried cylindrical and slider joints with the same result.

It will even allow the joint's "rest" values to be entered but the components/subassembly will not move to the offset entered in the "rest" field. When adding a rest parameter it shows that it is going to offset the constrained component but it does not move as expected when pressing okay.

Message 6 of 9
jacobHEJBN

I figured it out. After playing around with the joints for a while I saw there was one rigid joint that wasn't associated to any joint in the timeline and when hovering over it the entire model looked selected. After deleting this joint, everything moved as expected. Thanks for the help.

Message 7 of 9
jeffB3YGZ

I'm new to joints and have a similar issue trying to move a sliding joint.  I don't see any unexpected rigid joints but my sliding joint comes from a different assembly and then I have a rigid joint attaching other components to the sliding portion.  All joints animate as expected but I can't click and drag to change the position of the sliding component -- instead, everything moves.  The sliding entire sliding assembly is grounded.  Thanks much.

Screen capture here: https://youtu.be/Nhf5iji4aik   Link to model here: https://a360.co/3zjzFVW 

Message 8 of 9
jhackney1972
in reply to: jeffB3YGZ

Your link to your model is not valid for Download, you did not include that right.  It would be best if you simply attach it to your next post.  In your video you try to animate a Rigid Joint which works find (vibrates) and then you animate the Slider Joint and it works fine.  First make sure the linear bearing track is Grounded and then right click on the Slider Joint and choose Animate Model, not Animate Joint and see what you get.

If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section, of a forum post, to attach it.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 9 of 9
jeffB3YGZ

Well, duh for me.  Animate model was what I was missing.  Thank you @jhackney1972 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report