Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Fusion Calculating Constraints

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
302 Views, 3 Replies

Issue with Fusion Calculating Constraints

I have a fully constrained sketch and am now wanting to go back and change a parameter, but Fusion says it isnt possible. Specifically I want to change the middle 47.00mm measurement to be shorter. When I do this fusion throws an error and says it isn't possible. However if I delete the dimension and manually drag the sketch I can shorten the line length and fusion acknowledges the sketch is no longer fully constrained, but if I then try to re-add the dimension, fusion says the sketch is over constrained and the dimension must be a driven dimension. Even weirder is sometimes when dragging the sketch the lines to the far right will cease to be perpendicular, despite having perpendicular constraints

1 Sketch.PNG2 No Longer Constrained.PNG3 Manually Shortened with Deformation.PNG4 Evidence of Perpendicular Constraint.PNG5 Driven Dimension Message.PNG6 Driven Dimension.PNG

Labels (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
raycon2010
in reply to: Anonymous

I deleted most of the constraints.

I fully constrained the first profile. The remaining profiles I applied co-linear to the horizontals + the auto applied created by the offsets.

If this a T&G assembly I'd model and dimension it differently. Mainly, individual user parameters for the dimensions that define the T&G and apply the "joint" spacing during the assembly. 

sk4.jpgsk5.jpg

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: raycon2010

What was the issue with the old sketch though, so I know for future designs and can work around it

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 4
raycon2010
in reply to: Anonymous

The way you created the sketch constraints the 15 mm dimension does not apply to all the profiles.  Adding co-linear is one way of getting there. To do that you have to delete some constraints - its easier to start over. 

So what exactly did you do wrong? Probably over use of the equal length constraint - locked the sketch up enough to get you a padlock for an instance. At its most basic form the sketch is 4 rectangles that are suppose to be equal height, equally spaced, varying width. As a test draw 4 rectangles. First one at sketch origin. Draw the next 3 where ever you want and apply the co-linear constraint for the horizontal edges. Now add the dimensions and T&G detail. I would use the equal constraint to center the T&G feature.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report