Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is It Possible To Map/Attach Sketch(s) To Face Of Another Sketch?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
m.hayhurst
3332 Views, 5 Replies

Is It Possible To Map/Attach Sketch(s) To Face Of Another Sketch?

Hello Everyone!

Is it possible to map/attach sketch(s) to the face of another sketch?  I moved the Large Spoon and Small Spoon sketches to what I would call the top of the Main Body sketch.  However, if I edit Extrude2 on the timeline and extend it by 10mm or so it completely messes up the drawing and Reference Failures warnings pop up.  I'm guessing this is because I moved the Large Spoon and Small Spoon sketches without actually anchoring them to the Main Body sketch face?

Spoon Holder

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
etfrench
in reply to: m.hayhurst

First, see Rule#1

Is this what you wanted to do?

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
etfrench
in reply to: etfrench

This method is a little simpler, but you'll need to redo the chamfers:

There are several other methods you could have used as well.  

1. Split body and move one 10mm, then use the extrude to object to fill in the gap.
  2. Do the extrude you originally tried, then edit the other extrudes to two direction extrudes.

You really only need one sketch to build this model. Extrude each different height by just selecting the geometry for that height.  Use dimensions and user parameters to control the height of each extrusion.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
m.hayhurst

@etfrench wrote:

This method is a little simpler, but you'll need to redo the chamfers:

There are several other methods you could have used as well.  

1. Split body and move one 10mm, then use the extrude to object to fill in the gap.
  2. Do the extrude you originally tried, then edit the other extrudes to two direction extrudes.

You really only need one sketch to build this model. Extrude each different height by just selecting the geometry for that height.  Use dimensions and user parameters to control the height of each extrusion.

Yes, I did not convert Sketches into Components.  I was in a hurry and trying to get something quick and dirty printed but I will be sure to do that in the future.  Your solution works but I was trying to figure out if I could just edit: Extrude2 in the Timeline instead of creating additional extrusions?  That's why I was wondering if I could map/attach/anchor whatever you want to call it to the face of the main body so that when I extended Extrude2 it would work.

Also, I think it's a little late to create a component(s) now as I lose everything in my timeline (for editing) amongst other things?

Message 5 of 6
etfrench
in reply to: m.hayhurst

Losing everything in the timeline may be the best thing to do Smiley Happy

Here's what I would do:

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
m.hayhurst

@etfrench wrote:

Losing everything in the timeline may be the best thing to do Smiley Happy

Here's what I would do:

I like that a lot especially the Parameter method so you always maintain a ratio of your extrudes!  Guess I have a lot to learn.  I'm creating a holder for forks so I will definitely try this new approach when doing that.  Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report