Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor -> Fusion: how to keep materials?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
tommy_koehlerX3Z7W
224 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor -> Fusion: how to keep materials?

Hello Community,

when designing a model in Inventor, including assigning a material (in this case: "steel 1.0037"), and then exporting the model to Fusion using the export job which can be found in Inventor, it seems like the material information barely gets to Fusion.

In Fusion directly, with a right click on component -> properties:

Material "generic" with wrong information of mass and so on

In FusionTeam, after saving the ipt so it turns into a Fusion File:

Material "steel", but no further explanation on what type exactly, also the physical properties stay empty.

I assume, this is due to the fact that the material assigned in Inventor is a "custom material" which does not exist in the Fusion library? Is this correct?

Are there any work arounds so our CAM guys get a Chance to figure out which material was assigned in Inventor?

i put some screenshots in this post for you to check out.

Labels (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi! The behavior does not sound right to me. The material style in the ipt should pass to the Fusion design properly. I did a quick test and it seems to work fine using Fusion Upload workflow. Could you share an example that fails?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 5

Hey,

i attached the ipt.

thank you

Message 4 of 5

Hi! Many thanks for sharing the ipt file! I tried it on Inventor 2025 and Fusion. The material style of the part is set to Generic in Fusion as in Inventor. Also the appearance styles are correctly mapped.

Could you tell me how I can reproduce the issue?

Thanks again!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 5
t_koehler
in reply to: johnsonshiue

thank you for the invested time.

We actually made it work now too!

Do you have any information if Fusion will support constraints from iams too, soon?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report