Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instructional/tutorial videos by women

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
garmitage
886 Views, 21 Replies

Instructional/tutorial videos by women

As an educator interested in attracting more women to our field, I have found it difficult to find instructional videos where these students can see themselves represented.  If anyone can recommend a source for such, I would appreciate it if you would share.

Thanks.

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Haad_Ali
in reply to: garmitage

Autodesk ambassador hub is a good platform for the students. 

Message 3 of 22
TrippyLighting
in reply to: Haad_Ali

@Haad_Ali did you read the topic of this thread ?

The search is for female content creators using Fusion 360 at a at a level where they can make good Fusion 360 tutorials.

EESignature

Message 4 of 22
Haad_Ali
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I just want to refer that he may find some good content creator there. Because there are a lot of talented women are also there.

Message 5 of 22
chrisplyler

I hope you find what you're seeking, but...

I humbly submit my non-Fusion related opinion: that IF a student - of EITHER sex - needs tutorials presented by a member of their own sex in order to do well or maintain interest... then perhaps he or she should choose a field where differentiation between the sexes is more acceptable. Maybe something like dance instructor.

The notion that, "We don't want to differentiate between the students' sexes, and so what we had better do to accomplish that is...differentiate between the instructors' sexes," is ridiculous.

I do realize that navigating this challenge - in today's goofy society - without getting yourself fired is difficult. But come on, it's silly. An instructor/presenter should be chosen based on ability.

Message 6 of 22
garmitage

Wow, chrisplyler. 

If you think that a white male dominated field (partly based on deliberate historical exclusion) does not already embody barriers to those not in that category, your comments only serve to build those barriers higher.  It's well known in sociology that when someone doesn't feel that they share dominant characteristics of a group that tend towards homogeneity, they are much less likely to try to join that group.  The capabilities of talented non white males who could contribute positively to this important field are lost as a result.  I stand by my position that providing examples of diversity helps promote a maximum of participation.

Take a “survival of the fittest” attitude if you choose, but society as a whole is the ultimate loser.

Message 7 of 22
Phil.E

Great request, I'll ask around.

Are you interested in purely tutorial oriented, like CAD lessons, videos?

Or also including more demonstrative videos like Alice Coatduck's maker series? 

https://www.youtube.com/user/coatduckmobile

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 22
garmitage
in reply to: Phil.E

Right now I'm just looking for instructionals for Fusion, but thanks for turning me onto Alice's series.

Glenn

Message 9 of 22
TrippyLighting

What exactly is it you teach and what age group in what sort of educational institution ?

EESignature

Message 10 of 22
garmitage
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Introductory CAD modeling in Fusion (all features) for liberal art college students.

Message 11 of 22
chrisplyler

@garmitage wrote:

Take a “survival of the fittest” attitude if you choose, but society as a whole is the ultimate loser.

Okay you've peaked my interest. I don't want to cause a political argument here on the forums, but if we can somehow politely exchange logical points and counter points, I'm in.

If the fittest are the ones that survive, and therefor are the ones who perform the rolls that they are the fittest for...how exactly is society as a whole losing? I do NOT wish to exclude women or minorities from anything. I just believe in equality of opportunity...not equality of outcome. As long as we eliminate any systemic, oppressive, unfair barriers to entry (choosing a tutorial presenter - for videos that presumably will be shown to students who have already chosen to be in the class, and gotten into the class - based on sex does nothing of the sort) then we should be good.

Maybe if you show training videos to men - of men teaching sewing - more men might be less tentative about entering the field, right? Or maybe, just maybe, a large percentage of men just aren't interested in that field. Please do elaborate on how a class about using Fusion has a history of deliberate exclusion. Have schools been actively preventing women and minorities from selecting such a class? "No no no, only white men allowed in THIS class?"

Message 12 of 22
garmitage
in reply to: chrisplyler

I agree that this isn't the proper forum for a length debate on the the topic.  I tried writing a succinct reply but it's really too complicated a topic, so I'll let it rest.  Better suited for a sit-down with a beer.

Message 13 of 22
chrisplyler

Understood. I was a bit nervous even bringing it up here. I certainly don't want to offend anyone. But it's hard for me to resist a good friendly debate (as long as the other party can keep it a good friendly debate).

Message 14 of 22

Hi @garmitage, Thank you for bringing this up, there are certainly fewer videos authored by non-men than we would like. My colleague Fab Clayton did a 3 part series on drone design in Fusion 360 that covers a lot of ground in the modeling workspace. The downside is it is 3 years old, so Fusion looks a bit different now than it does in the videos.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKxZGvCu2G8&t=2788s

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo8UqTTq4mU

Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_iPR4q9H1U

Beyond that, I have recorded a lot of workshops I've done, although they are not posted publicly. If you would like, send me a message and I can find a few to send.

Message 15 of 22

Thanks Gaby.  Do you have anything on using parametric modeling tables by any chance?

Message 16 of 22
TrippyLighting

What are "parametric modeling tables" ?

EESignature

Message 17 of 22
garmitage

Is there a diffent term for this?

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 1.09.24 PM.png

Message 18 of 22
chrisplyler

Ah. Around here we just call that the Parameters List, but I think I like Parametric Modeling Table better. Sounds more important somehow.

Message 19 of 22

Hey @garmitage I don't have any short videos just on the parameter table, but I am happy to make a quick screencast for you. Shoot me an email and we can discuss further! gaby.waldman-fried@autodesk.com

Message 20 of 22

I've found something that's pretty good for what I'm looking for, but
thanks for the offer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report