Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import 3d models

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
13344 Views, 18 Replies

Import 3d models

Hi guys , I have question about how can import 3d models from another application such zbrush maya ..etc to Fusion ? Or In other words how to convert that geometry into body in Fusion ? I try different ways but it all the same doesn't work! So if you guys can help will be grateful. thank..Oday

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You will need to export the model as a file that can be uploaded to Fusion 360 such as a .STEP file. From there open your data panel in Fusion 360 and select the cloud icon called upload. Then select the file you want to upload. I hope this helps!

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous

thank you Matthew for quick response, but if the file is Obj and the geometry is subdivision!  there is no issue to converted in the STEP? I mean does not affect the shape?

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous

You can also import Obj files if that solves your problem. Attached is a list of files that can be uploaded to Fusion 360. 

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous

Yeah bro of sure I try this method but seems doesn't work!  I don't know how can i convert subdivision geometry to solid body in fusion ?

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous
What's the file format you're importing?
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous

I don't know much about that area of Fusion 360. Sorry if this is way off but does this thread help? If not could you post an image of your design and what you are trying to accomplish?

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous

the file format I importing is obj

Message 9 of 19
TrippyLighting

That is a very good question.

The answer is a bit more complicated!

The software you named produces meshes and these can be exported in a variety of formats. Leading I'd say is .obj.

As opposed to solid geometry, surfaces (NURBS) and T-Splines which represent mathematically precise objects, meshes have a finite resolution.

Meshes can consist of triangles, quads or other types of polygons. .stl fies for example are usally traingulated high polygon count and are often are not suitable to be directly modified with the solid modeling tools in Fusion 360. In a nutshell, avoid triangulated meshes, if you can!

Z-Brush and Maya work mostly with subdivision surfaces and use relatively coarse meshes consisting of quad polygons to control fine details in a subdivided mesh. If you have access to the originating software and are not just handed files, then you want to export that control mesh in quad form in .obj format.

In Fusion 360 you need to turn of automatic triangulation of meshes in the preferences. Then you might be able to convert that imported quad mesh into a T-Spline that then might be converted into a solid body (BRep). Then you can add featuers with the solid modeing tools in Fusion 360,

It depends, however, also on the number of polygons you are exporting from a sculpting application such as Z-Brush. Sculpting can produce and extraordinary amount of polygons, which is why such meshes are often re-topologised.

There are a number of applications available that allow to automatically re-mesh mesh data (triangiulated and quad meshes ) InstantMeshes or Memento , but these usually result in a loss of detail compared to the original model.

EESignature

Message 10 of 19
Anonymous

that is subdivision geometry but i cannot extrude , push poll ..etc  i know first should be converted to body  in fusion! but  i don't see that option?

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Yes sir! that is very useful ! but as you said a bit complicated!! so I try This method!! Maybe):

Message 12 of 19
TrippyLighting

You are in the mesh workspace, which is useless for what you want to do with this model.

Did you change the preference setting as described in my last post ?

If so, change into the Model workspace, right-click on the mesh body in the browser and covert that mesh into a BRep.

Report back with results, please.

EESignature

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Yeah I did change the preference setting to mesh workspace! but i can't see the Model workspace ? 

Message 14 of 19
TrippyLighting

You don;t need the mesh workspace to do this.

How about you post your mesh .obj file and I make a screencast how to convert it ?

EESignature

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous

@Anonymous hope this helps:

1. Create > Base Feature
  2. Insert > Mesh
  3. Convert Mesh to Brep
  4. Exit Base Feature
  5. Model as you like

1-insert base feature.jpg

2-insert mesh.jpg

3-convert to Brep.jpg

4-Fnish base feature.jpg

4-Body.JPG

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous

yeah dude!! that is what i hope to reach thank you very much !! and many thanks to all of you guys.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous

One last think! Why when i Inserting the Mesh it seem triangle? Although when i exported from zbrush was Square?

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous

In that case try what @TrippyLighting said, and uncheck Triangulate mesh in your preferences.

Triangulate.png

untriangulate.JPG

Message 19 of 19
Anonymous

Yesss sir! you are genius!! thank you man

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report