Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help to know the best way to design a SciFi Prop head

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
ianhughes7UFVF
1280 Views, 13 Replies

I need help to know the best way to design a SciFi Prop head

Hi

I am also in the process of designing a prop head for a body I have created using fusion. I have been trying to make the head using methods such as using the Loft tool but having very little success.

With help with a hand design that I have been shown to use tsplines, which by the way, is coming along slowly but I am certainly finding it a good method, I was wondering if that can be used to create this head:

60804450_2444416192447810_4843772010855137280_n.jpg

What I really need as some suggestions on how to go about creating the head shape and what tools I should use. A screencast would be even better but that may be asking too much.

Here are some side and front elevations of a printed version that may be of help:

65231736_866916700339653_2610730140417654784_n.jpg65185698_2184673411658856_5602975108978180096_n.jpg66076677_316191532623548_4434186809768935424_n.jpg65596423_333211110925641_9008585051708850176_n.jpg65201140_2450990921810288_1151397886433427456_n.jpg

Here is the body I created using standard processes with a loft for the chest, torso and waist:

Final 1.JPG

So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Ian

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Hi Ian!

I'd personally say that the T-Spline environment would lend itself to this quite well. One thing that may help speed up the process a lot is the converter within our T-Spline/Form environment. If the model that you have shown of the head is available in a Quad Mesh or in BRep form this would work. 

Let me know if you think this could be helpful and I'd be happy to help out along the way!

Regards,

Pete

Peter Simpson

Technical Consultant

Message 3 of 14

Hi

I do think the Tspline path would be the way to go, but I am just not having much luck manipulating a sphere to start to create the shape.

The hand I am creating with tsplines is ok as it seems to be more simpler tubes to create and join.

The head on the other hand seems to be so many different shapes to adjust.

I don't have the stl for the Head and even though I can buy it, it wouldn't be appropriate to use it for this purpose. So its back to me creating it from scratch.

Are you able to create a screencast at all on how to start the head to give me some direction.

That would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Ian

Message 4 of 14

You posted this before and I had started to model, but for the next few weeks I'l have little time to complete it.

I've attached the model in its current state. Maybe that provides you with good en ought of a start.

Many of the models you make lend themselves tone modeled with T-Splines so this would be an opportune moment to really get into it. Remember, check often in box view mode or model in it exclusively,.

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 8.23.30 PM.png

EESignature

Message 5 of 14

Hi

Peter, you are amazing.

That looks so exactly what I need to do.

I used a sphere my first attempt at the Tspline for the head and I had alot of squares in it and it was a solid. Would I be correct that you have used something different to create your hollow shape.

Like a cylinder and joined edges, like the hand you helped with?

But its great to see that its acheievable. If you could let me know what you started the tspline with that would be great, I can start from there.

Regards

Ian

Message 6 of 14

Hi

Sorry for asking.

Did you make the head from two cylinders joined or one bent over.

I am trying to get my head around (excuse the pun) how you created it.

Regards

Ian

Message 7 of 14

IIRC I started with a quad ball. However, often I start with a single faced and start extruding.

EESignature

Message 8 of 14

Hi

That was enough to get me going. So thanks for that.

Here is where I am at so far.

Med Droid Head 5.JPGMed Droid Head 4.JPG

Further along than I was. I just need to spend alot of time fiddling with it.

But I appreciate your help.

Regards

Ian

Message 9 of 14

Hi

Just some questions.

From my earlier post you would have seen that I cut the eyes out, but would it have been better to indent them with the tsplines?

Also, how do I eventually thicken the head from the tspline stage. It will need to be 6mm thick in the end?

Here is how it is going:

Med Droid Head 6.JPG

Regards

Ian

Message 10 of 14

Hi

I am probably having a dense moment.

I just opened the Head project and carn't remember how to access the Tspline area. When I edit feature it makes the bodies transparent.

Any directions on something I am sure is straight forward will be great.

Regards

Ian

Message 11 of 14

Double click on the purple icon in the timeline. That's the T-Spline feature. Or right -click and choose edit feature from  the pop-up menu.

EESignature

Message 12 of 14

Hi

I tried that, but the timeline one goes back a bit and doesn't show my recent work. I discovered the Head wasn't to scale so scaled it up and started on the neck.

Could you have a look at the file I attached. You will see that I have done something odd.

Regards

Ian

Message 13 of 14

Hi

I think something I may have done wrong was I discovered that the Canvases were not scaled and I had to rescale the whole Head larger. After that I couldn't seem to go back and edit the Head and neck without it showing up as a transparent object.

I started from scratch again, making sure the canvases were scaled correctly and I will start the tspline from scratch. It seems the only way I can see of making the tspline work opeartional again.

Regards

Ian

Message 14 of 14

Hi

That is, unless someone can point out what I am doing wrong on the previous attempt.

Regards

Ian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report