Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a way to change the configuration of a design in a derived design.

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Julie_7
237 Views, 4 Replies

I need a way to change the configuration of a design in a derived design.

I am still learning how to make better use of configurations, so I may have missed something.

Here is a simple example of what I would like to be able to do.

1. I have a design for a logo.

a. I expect to use the log in many other designs.

a. The design is configured with 3 selectable sizes.

2. I have a design for a box and I want to be able to apply the logo to the lid.

a. I derive the box from the logo so that I can use it

a. The box is also configurable with 10 different sizes

3. I want to be able to choose the correct logo size for each box configuration.

It is my understanding that I can only derive from a configured design by selecting a single configuration.

Am I missing something?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
karina.harper
in reply to: Julie_7

Hi @Julie_7 ,

We currently support switching configurations with Insert but not Derive. If you use insert instead of Derive, you can switch configurations or Configure the inserted configuration (adds a column to the table that lets you choose which config is active). 

Derive has some complexity that makes it a bit more difficult to implement (you can derive just a sketch for example) but it is on our roadmap to allow switching Derived Configurations.

Cheers,

Karina

Karina Harper

Software QA Engineer, Fusion 360

Fusion 360 Webinars | Contact Support | EDU Support | Support Board Best Practices

Message 3 of 5
Julie_7
in reply to: karina.harper

Thank you so much!
I always wondered why both insert and derive were provide when they appeared to do the same thing.
Message 4 of 5
Julie_7

I just realized one of the reasons that I did not differentiate between Insert and Derive. The Insert menu has one choice that is "Insert Derive".

Julie_7_0-1721606805787.png

Message 5 of 5
EvanGu

Hi @Julie_7, we usually say Insert Component as Insert or External Component, Insert Derive as Derive,  

Quote from an article written by John Helfen for their differences,
What are the main differences between Insert Derive and External Components?

Insert Derive allows you to be selective about the content that is referenced. In fact, you can select any or all objects from any or all components in a source design to reference in the destination design. With External Component insert, you must insert everything in the source design as a whole component into the destination assembly.

Insert Derive does not allow you to edit any of the features that define the derived objects. You can only add additional features to the derived objects and the features are isolated to the destination design. With External Components, you can use Edit In Place (EIP) to make edits to all features and sub-components that define the inserted component, while in the context of the destination assembly. These edits are saved in the inserted component file and are propagated to all other assemblies where the component is used. EIP in not enabled for Derive features.

External Components allow multiple users to collaborate in an assembly by creating and editing different external components concurrently. Insert Derive makes the derived objects an integral part of the destination design, so a user making changes to the derived objects must reserve the destination design and those changes are always saved as a new version of the destination design.

Both Insert Derive and External Components allow "breaking the link". Break Link on a Derive converts all features (except Joints) to Base Bodies so they cannot be parametrically edited. Assembly hierarchy of derived components are maintained in the browser. Break Link on an External Component converts it to an Internal Component and maintains all feature intelligence that defines the component(s). Those features can be parametrically edited in the destination (assuming parametric history is turned On). Assembly Hierarchy is maintained in the browser.

Evan Gu
Inventor/Fusion QA Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report