Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm fed up and I'm quitting

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
632 Views, 13 Replies

I'm fed up and I'm quitting

Hey Fusion Team,

I'm reaching out to share some real talk about my experience with Fusion software—a tool I used to love, but now it's driving me up the wall.

I've been using Fusion since 2020, using it for all my university surface modeling projects. At first, it was like a dream come true—easy to use, quick to learn, and packed with cool features. But lately, it's been more like a nightmare.

No matter how fancy my PC is, Fusion keeps freezing up on me. Every 20 seconds, like clockwork, I'm stuck staring at a screen that won't budge for anywhere from 30 seconds to a painful 5 minutes. Simple stuff like opening a sketch or saving a file feels like pulling teeth. an hour of work turns into 20 minutes of actual progress, and 40 minutes of me twiddling my thumbs while Fusion decides to cooperate. It's not just frustrating; it's a colossal waste of time.

I hit my breaking point when I realized I'd spent four days on a project that should have taken six hours. It is 2 am in the night and still don't know if I am going to finish it. I tried everything that suggested, I even bought better PC but nothing works.

So, here's the deal: I'm done. I can't keep banging my head against the wall with Fusion. It's time to explore other options that actually respect my time and sanity.

(I7 13700K, RTX 4070, 32 GB Ram, m2 ssd)

Tags (3)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

@20170307010 Thank you for the feedback and we apologize for the experience you have been having with Fusion lately. While everything you mentioned sounds like graphics issues, we can work with you to identify what could be happening. 

If you do decide to come back to Fusion, certainly let us know and we are happy to connect with you to understand and resolve any issues we can. Thank you for using Fusion over the past few years. We greatly appreciate it!

Rajkumar Ilanchelian
Autodesk Fusion

Join Fusion Insider

Message 3 of 14
laughingcreek
in reply to: 20170307010

Let us know what you end up going with.  Always interested in alternatives.

Message 4 of 14

Thank you very much for response. But I'm convinced that nobody can solve it. as I said I tried everything and most of them were graphic solutions. I got to admit I'm working on complex geometries but my workflow is maninly focused on the simple commands such as sweep, split body, extend not like merge commands. I have knowledge that my hardware has required capabilities based on the other tests. Also I have tested my geometries in various computer such as workstations or new Mac Pro computers and results were only slightly different than mine. so I must assume problem is not caused by my side. 

Message 5 of 14
in reply to: laughingcreek

My goal is Alias actually but I am scared of it. may be Rhino or NX.   

Message 6 of 14
Warmingup1953

If I.P. is not an issue please share your Fusion (no longer 360)  file. Other eyes may see solutions or alternative workflows...Heck, it may well be Hardware?

Message 7 of 14
laughingcreek

@20170307010 wrote:... Also I have tested my geometries in various computer such as workstations or new Mac Pro computers and results were only slightly different than mine....

that sounds like a model issue.  a wacked model will perform badly on anything.

if your sacred of alias, you're not going to care for NX.  if surface modeling is your primary goal, Rhino will be your best bet.

Message 8 of 14

@20170307010 wrote:

I've been using Fusion since 2020, using it for all my university…

@20170307010 

No file(s)? Not even any pictures?

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Can you ask your instructor to join this discussion?

Message 9 of 14
jcbyrd24

I have to say I understand the OPs sentiment right now. I'm still relatively new to Fusion but have been using it in my business for over a year successfully. This morning I'm working on a simple model of some custom perforated sheet. Two sketches for two different panels with a bunch of holes in a staggered pattern using the rectangular pattern function. Five freezes already this morning. Only 1 body in the whole model so far and 2 sketches...unreal to me. The seemed to have screwed something up in the latest update badly.

Message 10 of 14
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: jcbyrd24

@jcbyrd24 wrote:

... Two sketches for two different panels with a bunch of holes in a staggered pattern using the rectangular pattern function

@jcbyrd24 

Sounds like incorrect technique to me. 

This is perhaps the most common user error in all of parametric CAD (any parametric CAD, not just Fusion.)

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Illustration of computationally expensive techniques.

Old, but still relevant today.

Message 11 of 14
g-andresen

Hi,

@jcbyrd24 

Patterns should not be created in sketches but as features on solids or surfaces.
Show your example (f3d file) and you could get tips on how to proceed.

günther

Message 12 of 14

Thank you all for responses. I wrote that masage because I was ferious to program in the middle of the night. I am working for 22 hours straight now and I almost finished it. I still strugle with it and my brain is about be mush. 

Unfortunately I can't share files since it is ongoing research. I am working on my twist version of the Hymer Venture S model. Modeled to CFD analysys. I can add only 2 screenshot of old prototype version. 
I think I will switch to rhino. Also I will try out SpaceClaim it looks cool.
Thank you all

Message 13 of 14
jcbyrd24
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Thank you a g-andersen for the feedback, and great video as well. I've heard similar about holes in sketches etc. and have tried to transition my workflow, but I find the sketch area easier to work in when trying to center things etc, being able to dimension more readily. I'll take a stab at repeating this with a different method.
Message 14 of 14

@20170307010 wrote:

Thank you all for responses. I wrote that message because I was furious to program in the middle of the night. I am working for 22 hours straight now and I almost finished it.

Going only from the pictures I do not see anything that should cause difficulty in a clean, well laid out design.

But based on my experience I suspect that digging into the construction of the model would reveal so many beginner mistakes that the best course of action would be to start over from scratch using what was learned from this attempt.

When I would tell my students to - Start Over - they would come back with, "I have 2 months into this and it is due tomorrow, I can't start over."  I would give them a few pointers on improving the technique if they start over.  They would go fight it a bit longer and finally give in and start over.  Next day they would turn in the assignment grinning from ear to ear exclaiming how fast it went once they followed my advice.  (Of course I would set milestones so that they learned this early in the process - not on the final due date. At a milestone due date.)

Edit: From the issues I can observe in your pictures - I don't thing a change in CAD software will magically "fix" these issues.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report