Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would you model this? (hardsurface)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1732 Views, 4 Replies

How would you model this? (hardsurface)

Hello, 

Been using Fusion 360 for about a month now, and even though I can get around the program, I am still trying to figure out some modeling techniques, even though I know this program is not made for this, I've seen other people using it for concept design specifically hardsurface modeling and I am pretty sure it can be done.

Here is a reference of something I've been trying to model for the past 2 hours with no luck.

This black shape inside the bigger grey shape. I tried making a base sketch, extrude it, but that gives me a flat surface. How would you go about creating those smooth diagonal lines that connect from the center to the base of the object? an also how would you taper the object where the center is higher than the diagonal that connects to the base? Hope that makes sense.

2017-08-20 18_22_41-Icecream screen recorder.png

Here is another reference. As you can see, this big black/orange shape has some pretty smooth and at the same time defined angles and transitions that I haven't been able to achieve with modeling in Fusion.

2017-08-20 18_21_27-Icecream screen recorder.png

If anyone can help me out with this I would really appreciate it, and if you can share a screen recording of the process I would be most grateful.

Thank you in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mavigogun
in reply to: Anonymous

You'll want to become familiar with Lofting, as well as the Patch and Sculpt environments. There are a gazzillion YouTube records that confront these tools; search for "sculpting Fusion 360" and "loft Fusion 360".    You can get there from here, but there will be a lot of work first identifying the work flow, then learning how to control the tools; after many months, I still have much to learn- there's just no cheating experience.  I advise simple, intermediary projects as path to the capacity you want to develop.  

With such a multi-faceted tool, there will be more than one way to achieve the same end.   As far as "not designed for this", I'm not sure what you mean, as the examples provided seem very much  within the intent and capacity of Fusion.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: mavigogun

@mavigogun

Thank you for your reply.

I did try using lofts for a bit, but I guess I need to get more comfortable with it. I come from Polygon modeling so i'm still working out the kinks of modeling in F360.

Message 4 of 5
TrippyLighting
in reply to: mavigogun

@mavigogun wrote:

As far as "not designed for this", I'm not sure what you mean, as the examples provided seem very much  within the intent and capacity of Fusion.

I agree. the shapes presented should be possible with Fusion 360. In general modeling in a CAD application is very different from sub-D modeling. I use both.

If you are used to sub-D modeling I would not model such stuff in Fusion 360. Al of the standard sub-D modelers have better modeling tools than Fusion 360.

I find that Blender and Fusion 360 complement each other fine.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Anonymous

The smaller picture is hard to interpret, start the a block of material, and use cut features to remove the parts not needed, do half then mirror.

For the holes in the plate I would use extrude cut with draft angle, 

Use Fillet and Chamfes near he end of the processes.

Might get you going....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report