Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How was this designed?

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
jared.yaw
824 Views, 16 Replies

How was this designed?

Hello,

I'm an educator in Nashville. Can anyone recommend some tutorials or explain how this design was made. I am very new to Fusion, but know the basics and I'm wondering how that 3D form was extruded down into that elipse? Like how was the contouring made?

Any assistance or guidance would be much appreciated.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
davebYYPCU
in reply to: jared.yaw

Most likely an over built curved surface, (Loft or Tspline face)

with that surface thickened.

Slot sketch thin wall extruded and a floor extruded (due to the flat floor section in the top face.

Second body a Boundary fill as New Body.

Might help...

Message 3 of 17
jared.yaw
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Man I wish I could understand what you were saying! Any way you could break that down a bit more like what would the steps be. I wish I could see it in the design history but it's hidden for some reason.

Message 4 of 17
davebYYPCU

Thought you might say that.  I believe the history has been stripped out, by author of the original.

Even though my curved face is of better quality than the original, (no seams) I have done this one with Sweep and Loft combo.  It is therefore inaccurate from just 3 sections.

cftdb.PNG

Walk up my timeline, ask questions.....

Might help..... 

Message 5 of 17
jared.yaw

This is absolutely incredible. I cannot believe you just did that so quickly! I'm walking through your timeline and I will likely have some more questions for you if you wouldn't mind!

Message 6 of 17
davebYYPCU

Yep anything to help, just so you don't get confused you can delete Sketch 2, it was made during interrogating the original model, but was never used, so can be deleted without drama.

Message 7 of 17
TrippyLighting

I thought that I add a bit of information that many Fusion 360 practitioners are not familiar with.

These concepts might be particularly helpful for Educators

In CAD software curved surfaces are represented as NURBS. The shape of a NURBS surface is described by a rectilinear grid of control points and associated weights. The key takeaway here is that that gris is always rectilinear.

However, obviously not every CAD surface is rectilinear e.g. has 4 sides.

As such we see on the screen are trimmed surfaces.

What is stored internally, invisible to the eye, however  are the original surfaces and the trimming loops.

To analyze how a piece of geometry was constructed It helps to get back that original surface before it was trimmed.

In Fusion 360 We can get the original surface back (mostly) by either unstitching that surface from the solid boy, or by creating a 0mm offset of that surface, essentially copying the trimmed surface . Then we can use the untrim command to delete the trimming loops and get back the original surface (or in Fusion 360 at least a close approximation):

TrippyLighting_0-1671291707548.png

Then we might use the curvature comb inspection tool on the surface edges to inspect the quality of the boundary  edges :

TrippyLighting_1-1671291783506.png

We can see that the curvature is not smooth ...

Or for a more complete analysis we might use the iso curve analysis with equally questionable results:

TrippyLighting_2-1671291948734.png

EESignature

Message 8 of 17
jared.yaw

Ahh! Dave,

I've been staring and analyzing your timeline for about the last 24 hours lol. I'm so stuck. I know that you must be some sort of Fusion guru, but I'm wondering if you could take a look at this attachment. OK, so I'm just trying to learn what you did with deconstructing that model I sent you, but attempting to do essentially the same thing but with a different tray design (this 8 x 12 empty one I built here to the side).

How did you make that curved sweep (the first part of the overall bottom section of the model). It's giving me these errors - I drew a spline line that I was trying to copy you with, but I wish I could see like your actual mouse clicks or a video or something of you doing this in real time to further view. You wouldn't happen to be in the Nashville area would you? lol 

I'm really not sure if you would be up for this or if you would have even the time, but I would gladly pay you for a tutorial in exactly what steps you did to sketch out the one you sent me yesterday.

Anyway, I really appreciate your time already, so thank you for that! Maybe you can see what I'm trying to do and give me a next step? Or help me better break it down even further. Like I said, I'd be happy to pay you to show me how to do this. There are a few other 3D models I've seen that I would also love to learn how to make and produce. Just food for thought.

Jared

Message 9 of 17
davebYYPCU

I am halfway around the world, Blue Mountains area, NSW Australia.

Happy to help, really detailed stuff by PM, but otherwise short step and processes here for public education of future readers is a lot slower.  Combination of both - up to you,

Some comments but not critical, and in no particular order.

Sweep needs 2 sketches for, a Profile and a Path, at a minimum - there are other options in Sweep and for what you are trying to do, does not have? to be a Sweep.

The redo of the other tray has the curvy floor first, so having the body of the tray ahead of that is out of step.

The next thing is DO NOT use Move tool, you have lost the associativity of the body to any sketches after a move, I deleted both moves and put the body back where it should be.

Build in place is valuable.  A lot of that other redo methodology was due to what is there already.  I deconstructed it as an example of how to start from scratch.  A few sketches before going to modelling the pieces.

Fillets in sketches are not a usual practice, as you rob yourself of full length edges for Sweep path and other benefits from adding model fillets late in the design.

niwyw.PNG

So here I added the path to a sketch on your Construction plane to sweep a floor of random shape.

As Sketch 4 is not halfway I don't have your intent at the moment, it is not full length, nor half length of the long side, so I can't see the curved part of a floor yet.

That said, to place a curved floor similar to the original part, the Path is the Centre Line sketch, the profile/s were the purple splines from the other 2 projected sketches.

Please descibe the shape of your floor, with a side view and end view sketch/s.  Depending on what you send back will show which tool to use, Patch, Sweep, Loft or others that may work.

Might help.....

Message 10 of 17
jared.yaw

Dave,

Wow Australia! New South Whales had to google just to see what your location looks like. Man looks great, one of these days perhaps some travel, I've only heard great things about the beauty of your country.

OK so yes, I think I what I was trying to say was, OK so you designed this tray almost in reverse order for me, this picture here being your final product:

1.PNG

But what if you wanted to do essentially that same floor design, but on a tray that was different size and dimension, such as this:

2.PNG

What I was trying to show you in this file I attached to you (Same Tray Different Style) is what if you wanted your overall tray dimensions different, but you wanted that same sweeping floor design. Do you see what I mean? Like if you wanted to do that same floor design but on a rectangular tray, or a circle tray, or a triangle tray for that matter etc.

I was just trying to see if you could almost show me like step by step how you made those sweeps on the initial one you worked up and then joined them, but if you were starting from scratch, such as with this square tray I just modeled up (and I didn't mean to say that starting with the end model would be best way to approach it, it's just how I was conveying to you what I wanted a different final product to look like). Instead of the slot shaped tray, how would you model that same 3D floor on any other tray, such as this rectangular one.

I guess I really don't understand how you did that sweep path and then modeled the tray around it? Did you start with the 3D floor and then model the final shape around it? That's what your file seems to show, but I don't understand how you modeled the floor in the first place.

Hope that helps?

I'd love to see a live time video of how you actually built it out in Fusion or how you might, say, build this same floor design but on a different shaped (any shape really) tray. Just so I could see how you did it.

OK well thank you so much for your time already, I can't thank you enough. I think I need to take a CAD class!

Jared

Message 11 of 17
davebYYPCU

I know what you meant - the problem is that I would need to know the shape.

So that said - it comes back to Peters message, it usually starts with a deformed rectangular plate, and then the cut boundary is applied, (slot, triangle etc.)

So the dish you did is not wrong, and I would likely draw the sketches on each wall, Sweep or Loft the Profiles, short sketch, with Rails off the long sides.  This one I stuck to Sweep for simplicity.

I have the profile on the short side, and a Path / Guide Rail on each long side.  I am sweeping the same curve being tilted by the twist from the long side sketches.  I have not dimensioned the curve so they can be modified with click drag in real time.

smtryDB.PNG

Step along the timeline, at each icon, select then Right click and select Edit feature, the details for each Icon are shown, press cancel, before stepping next.

My steps 

1.  Sketch base size of the tray 8x12 centre rectangle. Add Offset rectangle for wall thickness.

2.  Extrude the rectangle as surface 1.5 high.

3.  New sketch on front face of the extrusion, add a 3 point curve from each end edge (Dimensions at this stage omitted for on fly editing.)

4.  New sketch on rear face of the extrusion, add a 3 point curve from each end edge.

5.  New Sketch on end face, Project end points of previous 2 curves.  Create curve from purple points. (Important step)

6.  Sweep with Guide Rail, select Profile from last sketch, Path from sketch 2 and Guide Rail from the other sketch.

7.  Extrude the underfloor solid the inside rectangle to Object, and select the curved body as object.

8. Extrude the walls, select the wall profile, set 1.5 high set as join.

9. Fillet the 8 vertical body edges at 0.25in radius.

10.  Select the 2 surface bodies in the browser, and right click, select Remove.

All done.  Might help....

Message 12 of 17
jared.yaw

Ah Dave again so wonderful I cannot believe you're taking the time to help me with this! It's about midnight here so I am going to dive into your response thorough here in more detail tomorrow. Cheers! Thank you for continuing to send me these modified .f3d files!

Message 13 of 17
GRSnyder

I'm skeptical that this was modeled at all per se. Well, the trivial outer box is certainly modeled, but since this is a tray, I would imagine that the interesting portion was formed by subtracting a model of the item to be held from a solid block, probably with some subsequent smoothing, cleanup, and additional margins.

Of course, that just shifts the basic question to "How would I model the object that this tray is designed to hold?" and all the above answers still apply. But if you're approaching things from scratch, there are some good reasons to model the object rather than the tray you actually want to design.

To begin with, you probably have the object on hand. You can measure it with calipers, photograph it from a variety of angles, maybe even use photogrammetry to avoid having to model it at all. Sure, the tray is just the inverse of the form, but having to make constant mental translations so that you can directly model the tray is going to be a pain.

Second, you probably have a pretty specific concept of how you want the object to sit in the tray. Is it angled so that one end sticks out more prominently, to facilitate the removal of the item? Does a particular attitude yield an aesthetically more pleasing result for the tray+item? You really can't make those adaptations mentally - you need a model of the object if you want to address these concerns.

Message 14 of 17
davebYYPCU
in reply to: GRSnyder

There was never any mention that the tray was to match a second object, so in the absence of such a thing, building the tray is somewhat freehand.

Message 15 of 17
TrippyLighting

@jared.yaw wrote:

I think I need to take a CAD class!

Jared

Yep! If you're interested, I am in South Carolina, so from @davebYYPCU perspective, right next door 😉

I looked at the design you had attached and there are considerations you should make before even touching a mouse. For example the tray you designed is symmetric in 2 axis, so it should be centered about the origin.

Are you trying to design a very specific object or are you just generally interested in how to create surfaces and objects with compound curvature ?

EESignature

Message 16 of 17
jared.yaw
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Just generally interested in how to model the curved surface! Thanks for your response, and I saw your previous pictures and curves, but I still don't understand how to model it. So here, check this out if you have time and maybe you could help me out. Basically, I'm just a hobby wood worker, and I'm really just starting with CNC. So I bought this design file through an Etsy shop, and then Dave essentially reverse engineered it and sent me his own .f3d file, so here is a snapshop of what he sent me:

1.PNG

Now when you run it through CAM you can do these stepwise functions and so the tray basically ends up looking like this:

3.PNG

My essential hangup is how to model the curved surface itself, and then how to build the tray around that, because I love this topographical stepdown (I dunno, it speaks to me lol), but so how could I model essentially the same "style" of pattern, but on different shaped or sized trays. Say I wanted to put that same design into this tray that I just mocked up:

2.PNG

How do you get the curvatures! If you know how to do it or could send me a video of how you would model this, please let me know!

Thanks!

Message 17 of 17
TrippyLighting

@jared.yaw wrote:

How do you get the curvatures! If you know how to do it or could send me a video of how you would model this, please let me know!

Have you looked through the timeline of the model that @davebYYPCU had attached to one of his last posts?

Have you tried to edit the timeline features to observe the specific settings?

Have you tried to modify it and if so, what were your results?

If you encountered problems, what exactly were they ?

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report