Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use imported STL to PROJECT outline on a sketch?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
disneytoy
2010 Views, 4 Replies

How to use imported STL to PROJECT outline on a sketch?

Hello!

I have these 2 gears in STL format. I need to scale and do some work on them. I'd prefer to just "capture" the outline into a new sketch. Project didn't work. Any other ways I can pull the geometry from the STL into a sketch?

Thank

max

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
laughingcreek
in reply to: disneytoy

I'll preface by saying every work flow starting with a stl is more difficult and involved than most people realize.

that said, you could start by creating a mesh section-

laughingcreek_0-1599148005457.png

Message 3 of 5
g-andresen

Hi,

try this:

to berep.png

> create sketch > project Brep into 

günther

Message 4 of 5
disneytoy
in reply to: laughingcreek

Thank you!

So I used the Solid Workspace and used the Create Mesh Section Sketch. That seemed to work. But I can't extrude the sketch? I tried both in the Solid and Surface space with extrude.

If I right click the SKETCH I tried export as DXF but on re importing it is empty.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 5
laughingcreek

after yo have your mesh section, edit the sketch associated with it (the mesh section is under the sketch it belongs to), and fit native fusion curves to it-

laughingcreek_0-1599163631094.png

read up on it, it's a little confusing at first but not hard.  You will probably want to just do one tooth, and then pattern that around a disc.

You might also see if one of the scripts/add ins you already have access to through fusion will generate a gear that will work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report