Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Use Features of an Existing Component as the Starting Point for Another?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jhawkinsRXEMB
164 Views, 2 Replies

How to Use Features of an Existing Component as the Starting Point for Another?

I'm experienced in a competing CAD program, but new to Fusion 360. I've done a few tutorials and know the basics at this point. I've produced a component with two ends... A male and a female friction fit for the same part that can be stacked to form an upright.

Now, I want to take just the male end as the starting point for a new component (to be a foot for these uprights). And then the female end to be the start of a new component (to be a cap for the top).

I know I can copy the component and then just extrude-remove the half I don't want. But I'm wondering if there is a way to do this that would stay synchronized with the original part. Like, if I have to go back and adjust the friction fit to be tighter or looser, is there a way that my new components can automatically receive those changes made to the original component?

What are the best practices for this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tags (4)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Boundary Fill might work for that. You can even use it to create a new component.

You might need to create an offset plane to cut the existing component at tha correct place.

HughesTooling_0-1709747793572.png

HughesTooling_0-1709748397592.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
etfrench
in reply to: jhawkinsRXEMB

Yes, use parameters to set the values.

ETFrench

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report