Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn an SVG sketch or body into a spiral

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
electronicallye
374 Views, 5 Replies

How to turn an SVG sketch or body into a spiral

Hello,

I have an SVG of a music track (attached as "Music Track.svg") which I would like to extrude in a spiral shape. I have tried using the 'emboss' feature on a 'coil' of type 'spiral' which I cannot seem to get to work. I have also tried extruding the sketch as an SVG, converting to 'sheet metal' and then using the 'bend' feature. I would like the start of the music track to be at the inner most part of the coil and the end of the music track to be at the end of the coil. The number of coils and the thickness of the coil does not necessarily matter (I can adjust this later). It would be much appreciated if someone could explain how to do this.

In other words, I would like to texture a spiral with the musical track.

I am using the below image as a source of inspiration (the one I plan to make is not going to appear as extreme in its spikes):
1e4d2bebc231432d71dff3c94aa24df5.jpg

Labels (7)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

It didn't go smoothly but do you mean an output like this?

MusicTrackb.jpg

MusicTrack.jpg

Message 3 of 6

Yes, that is exactly what I am looking for. Would you mind explaining your process?

Message 4 of 6

I used CorelDraw to create a spiral of length 1330mm to match my interpretation of your .svg length. Did you review my Fusion 360 file?spiral.jpg

Message 5 of 6

Thanks for that. Yes I did have a look. I was curious about a few things:

How did you match the length of the spiral to the music track?

How did you apply the music track to the spiral using the ‘emboss’ feature?

If possible, would you be able to describe the steps?

Message 6 of 6

I used CorelDraw because I have been using that since the 1980s and it's what I know best! It has an inbuilt Spiral and Logarithmic spiral creator and I simply guessed the size and then once created I measured the total length and then scaled the spiral to get close. I then saved that as a .dxf ( and your svg as well because I have no real control over the dimensions of .svg files.)

Yes then I used emboss on the solid body created from the spiral (with offset to 3mm Thickness) I had intended to Unfold a sheet metal body but that did not work as expected. I did not fine-tune the start of the emboss to the start of the solid body spiral and I think in total I have cropped the lst seconds away but that can be fined tuned with the Horizontal-offset in the Emboss Screenshot 2023-08-04 133000.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report