Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to rotate an object so that it faces another.

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jack9BF4X
556 Views, 4 Replies

How to rotate an object so that it faces another.

Hello. I have a problem, I am trying to make a diagram of steering system, I have two ball joints and I need them to face each other so that I can model a rod to connect them but I can't figure out how.

jack9BF4X_0-1636127101244.png

Both of them are joints, I don't think I can use the align tool for this because that will also move the object. Many thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jeff_strater
in reply to: jack9BF4X

Actually, Align will obey the joint system, and can be used to align components within the limits of joints applied to them.  If you can share your design here, someone will show you how.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 5
jack9BF4X
in reply to: jeff_strater

Alright, don't judge me for how poorly everything is organized.

Message 4 of 5
jhackney1972
in reply to: jack9BF4X

Most of my Screencast is dedicated to cleaning up your assembly model to a point where I could actually show you how to do the alignment.  If you need to, review the section toward the end where I add the sketch point inside the bore of each ball joint ball, from there to the end is the description on how to align the ball joints.  Please note in the Screencast the reason your ball joints would not function correctly.  You did not make the ball joint body a component in both assemblies.

You have some interferences between the ball joints and the assembly you will need to address as you move along.  Model is attached.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 5 of 5
jack9BF4X
in reply to: jhackney1972

Super helpful and very clear. Thank you so much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report