Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to loft spout on jug

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
2869 Views, 17 Replies

how to loft spout on jug

Hi, I am new to fusion and I am trying to create a spout on a jug using loft.  I am currently creating a cylinder and I created a sketch of the spout looking down from the top.  I then created a lateral sketch for the spout.  When I try to loft, I am getting errors.  Can anyone help me?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
NotTheBeaz
in reply to: Anonymous

The Loft tool works basically between two whole profiles (when a sketch is connected in a loop and it highlights blue when you hover over it that tells you if you have a sketch profile) also in this case i'm not sure you would need to use the loft feature, the rotate tool would work if you created an axis to revolve the profile on. Give me 20 mins and ill send you how i would do it

Message 3 of 18
davebYYPCU

What type of errors?

Not Loft from that pic, I would use Sweep, take the current profile, and sweep it down the inclined leg.

Your design intent will determine what you want.

Might help...

Message 4 of 18
NotTheBeaz

Hopefully the video should work

Message 5 of 18
NotTheBeaz

This is the way the other guy is talking about (the sweep) this is also just as easy and to be honest, a better solution

Message 6 of 18
davebYYPCU
in reply to: NotTheBeaz

Your not cutting the cylinder wall?

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous

Great that worked, thanks so much.  One question, how do I cut out the part of cylinder wall that blocks the spout?

Message 8 of 18
NotTheBeaz

Just read this, here is the way you can get rid of that waste material in the most idyllic way. You could also use a normal cut extrude to create little holes for, say, a tea spout. But if it is just for pouring a liquid that doesn't need to be strained then this is the way to do it.

Message 9 of 18
TrippyLighting

@NotTheBeaz while this is an interesting technique,   a spline based loft provides you with much more control over the shape. I personally would model only the outer surface for the entire object ad the spout and then thicken the entire object.

EESignature

Message 10 of 18
NotTheBeaz
in reply to: TrippyLighting

could you show me what you mean through a screencast? 

Message 11 of 18
TrippyLighting

Here is a quick render of the attached model. Go through the timeline and ask questions where you don't understand the workflow.

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 8.31.54 PM.png

EESignature

Message 12 of 18
NotTheBeaz

Yeah that seem pretty easy, quite surprised by how busy the feature tree is, thanks. @Anonymous don't worry too much about these tools at the moment just practice the basics.

Message 13 of 18
TrippyLighting

@NotTheBeaz wrote:

@Anonymous don't worry too much about these tools at the moment just practice the basics.

Those are pretty basic surfacing tools 😉

EESignature

Message 14 of 18
NotTheBeaz

@TrippyLighting what is the point in the 10th feature in your feature tree, I keep seeing this from people but I cant find an explanation why people do it

Message 15 of 18
TrippyLighting

That is a helper surface and a very common surfacing practice.

If you take a look at the loft and look at the rail you can set the condition form connected to tangency. That is only possible when you have a surface for your loft to be tangent with. If you select a sketch/curve you don't get that selection and there will be visible surface discontinuity. You can delete the rail selection and select the sketch curve and see the effect.

Selecting a helper surface and setting this to tangent will assure that the two halves not only are tangent at the two profiles but across hat entire surface. Although, it seems Fusion 360 creates this automatically in this case so you don't even have to set that to tangent,

EESignature

Message 16 of 18

Spouts are for wussies. Drink from the container the liquid is already in like a man, instead of pouring it into another container and thus needing to wash two items.

Side benefit: Easier modeling in Fusion!

Message 17 of 18

So, for example you "drink" maple syrup right from the jug ?

EESignature

Message 18 of 18

No, of course not.

My humor is not designed for all use cases.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report