Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find all measurements of an object automatically

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
nils_nippe
1483 Views, 3 Replies

How to find all measurements of an object automatically

Is there any way to automatically measure all dimensions (for example lengths of beams, angles, etc.)?

I modeled something relatively complicated and now I want to build it, but measuring every single length will be a long task, so I'm searching for some tool that does this automatically.

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ToddHarris7556
in reply to: nils_nippe

A very big part of the design process involves thinking about how to communicate the design intent to those who will be building it. Traditionally, this has meant generating drawings. 

Whether you're the person building it, or passing it onto someone else, you'll want to make sure that the builder has all the information needed for their required processes. i.e. if you're going to produce parts on a CNC, then maybe solid models are fine - toolpath right off the part. 

If you're heading out to the shop with your hammer and saw, then it's probably well worth the time to create a set of shop drawings. I imagine you'd want some overall assembly views, and then some part views with specific dimensions. Fusion's drawing engine has plenty of room for improvement, but is reasonably capable. I wouldn't suggest that it happens 'automatically' or even close to it, but you should able to produce a decent drawing set to build from. 

Todd
Product Design Collection (Inventor Pro, 3DSMax, HSMWorks)
Fusion 360 / Fusion Team
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: ToddHarris7556

Thank you for the tangent on shop drawings, but I believe the OP and myself are looking for automatic report generation...

Message 4 of 4
laughingcreek
in reply to: Anonymous

awful lot of things that could possibly be measured in any given design.  not sure how the software would be able to tell what was relevant.  do we need to know that each of the 100 bolt holes on a panel are 20 mm from the edge of a panel, or just that they are lined up on a line 20 mm from the edge?  asking a lot from the software to know the difference.  but if it doesn't make that differentiation, then you could end up with 1000 measurements to wade through to get to the 20 you actually need.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report