Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to cut through component copies

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ittay.dror
1417 Views, 9 Replies

How to cut through component copies

I'm trying to design a table. So I created a component for each plank, copied the number I need and tried to cut a recess for the leg (see recording link). But instead of getting one recess I get holes for each component. What is the proper way to create the recess? 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
davebYYPCU
in reply to: ittay.dror

Copy Paste, allows changes to the Parent or Children and will effect all. (Your current position)

Copy Paste New, allows changes to the Parent, that will not effect the Children.

Might help...

Message 3 of 10
ittay.dror
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Well, I want to have the best of both worlds: Use components so that a
change to one affects all copies and also be able to create a hole (a
"negative" body) in them.
Message 4 of 10
TrippyLighting

Copy/Pasted Components are instances of the seed component. In essence they are pointing to the same data set. A change to any instance is in essence a change to the one data set so all instances are changed.

There is a way to create a component and use the body in the component as base geometry for another component, which then can be modified without changing the original component. If that works, however and how yo get that to work depends on how you designed your table. If you can share your design we can take a look at it and suggest a path forward.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
ittay.dror
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Yes, I understand that a change to a component will change all its
instances. The question is whether I can create a negative space in an area
where there are components. The components are supposed to remain the same.
Message 6 of 10
TrippyLighting

Yes, you can simply create a sketch a extrude-cut an opening into an existing component. That sketch can be in another component. The default behavior depends on which component is activated, so pay attention to the default in "Operation" in the extrude dialogue and change it to your needs.

You can also use existing geometry and use the Modify->Combine/Cut tool to remove geometry form an existing component.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
ittay.dror
in reply to: TrippyLighting

See my video, the cut modifies all instances in the same way
Message 8 of 10
TrippyLighting

Where's the video ?

The UI for embedding videos could definitely use an improvement. Many users new and experienced run into this.

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
ittay.dror

The screencast is at https://autode.sk/2Lzbzvw 

Message 10 of 10
TrippyLighting

The cut extrude affects all instances at the same time.

Assuming that you want that slot on the underside of the table exactly in exactly the lengths/depth/width as sketched, you would affect different instances of that same component differently. 

The components on either end would have a partial slot, and the components in the middle would have a complete slot. So that make 3 different geometries.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report