Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to cut out the hole in a donut?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
jrlandau
507 Views, 3 Replies

how to cut out the hole in a donut?

Beginner question:  I need to cut out a 1" x 1" hole through a slab of 3/4 inch mild steel. I'm thinking of using chain drilling to remove most of it and then a 2D contour to finish.  Is this the correct Fusion 360 solution, or does F360 offer a better way?  And does F360 offer a nice way to lay out that chain?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
etfrench
in reply to: jrlandau

I usually do large pockets by using a 2d contour with roughing.

To do chain drilling, simply create one hole, create the toolpath, then use a circular (machining) pattern to complete the chain.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
jrlandau
in reply to: etfrench

I don't have the picture of how you would use 2D contour. Do you follow
the outline of the hole increasing depth until the hole falls out, or do
you go back and forth wasting the unwanted metal? Here is a picture of the
part--maybe I was a trifle inaccurate calling it a donut. Sorry if it was
misleading.
[image: image.png]
Message 4 of 4
etfrench
in reply to: jrlandau

Yes, that is the way to use a 2d contour.  You need to make sure the toolpath is the inside the line.  Fusion 360 will usually pick the correct side, but verify by running the simulator.  This is essentially a slot cut, so you will want to use a roughing toolpath.  Here are the settings I usually use for plastic with an 1/8" bit on a not very rigid CNC router:

Settings.JPG

I usually use the two layers of masking tape and CA glue to hold the stock, so tabs aren't necessary.  The center of hole must not be allowed to just drop out as that can pinch the toolbit and destroy it.  Use tabs or clamps or the masking tape/CA glue.

ETFrench

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report