Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create new body from selection?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
11275 Views, 9 Replies

How to create new body from selection?

Hi there,

I wanted to ask, if there is a possibility to create a new body from selection in Fusion 360. I have a coffee express model with different materials applied to faces and bodies. What I am asking for, is how can I change materials in other software (Blender in my case), which are applied to faces in Fusion? Or how can I create a new body from selection in Fusion, so it is easier for me in Blender to just choose an object and then change it's material?

For example, in the second screenshot I have selected few faces of that handle body that I want to have steel material, instead of black rubber material.

coffee_01.jpg

coffee_02.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Beyondforce
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

Are you asking, how to change materials? Right Click (anywhere) and choose "Materials". From the Material windows, you choose a material and drop it on the body.

If you want to change the Appearance of a body/Face, then use the "Appearance" when you Right Click, and do the same to apply appearances.

Note: Only in the Appearance's window, you have the option to change a Face color.

Cheers / Ben
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Check out my YouTube channel: Fusion 360: Newbies+

Ben Korez
Owner, TESREG.com & Fusion 360 NewbiesPlus
TESREG - Fusion 360 Hardware Benchmark
Facebook | YouTube

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Beyondforce

That is not exactly what I mean, but thank you for responding. I know how to apply and change materials in Fusion, but what I need is to make a new body from selected faces, so I can export all bodies and apply different materials to them in Blender. Now if I export it, I need to manually select hundreds of faces in Blender, while in Fusion I just click on one face. I could combine and cut some of the bodies in Fusion, but some parts, as this one below (with that angle), are too complicated.

Here there is a steel material next to the orange one, but it is one body, just different materials applied to different faces. I need to select faces with steel material and make a new body from them. On the second screenshot from Blender, the geometry is too dense to select all the faces manually to apply material.

I hope I have explained it clearly now. 🙂

fusion.jpgblender.jpg

Message 4 of 10
Beyondforce

You can export a component by Right click on it and choose Export. Don't confuse a body to a component! If you don't know the different, then let me know and I will explain it to you.

You can create a new body from a face with the Patch command, but I don't think that's what you want.

If you could make a screencast with audio and explain yourself, that will be great.

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

@Beyondforce wrote:

You can create a new body from a face with the Patch command, but I don't think that's what you want.

That's exactly what I need! 🙂 In other programs this function may be called "separate", basically I just need to select some faces and then detach it from the body. Detached faces will create a new body and that's it. Is there a way to do that?

Message 6 of 10
Beyondforce

Switch to the Patch environment, choose Create => Offset and then select the face that you want. This will create a new surface, which you then need to Thicken in order to turn it into a body.

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

@Beyondforce wrote:
Switch to the Patch environment, choose Create => Offset and then select the face that you want. This will create a new surface, which you then need to Thicken in order to turn it into a body.

That's exactly what I needed, thank you very much! 🙂

Message 8 of 10
Beyondforce

Great, I'm happy I could help.

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Message 9 of 10
TrippyLighting

When in the Patch environment you can simple unstitch the surfaces.

This will create individual surface bodies that you can then export as .stl into Blender.

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

@TrippyLighting wrote:

When in the Patch environment you can simple unstitch the surfaces.

This will create individual surface bodies that you can then export as .stl into Blender.

Wow, that one was actually exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report