Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create hoses tubes

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
ADodds720
4071 Views, 13 Replies

How to create hoses tubes

I'm really new to Fusion 360, and 3d modeling in general, and this is plaguing me. I am designing a Vacuum press pump for my wood shop, and have most of it modeled, but I would like to also model the hoses that are needed for it. I've watched a bunch of videos and tutorials, but its just not clicking for me. If anyone could lend a helping hand and show me how to do one of these hoses, that would be great, I want to learn this, so if you can break it down "Barney Style," that would be awesome. I know I don't really need to model these hoses, but I saw this as an opportunity to learn how. If more info is needed, I'm happy to supply what I can, but you may have to explain how to share it... Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
SaeedHamza
in reply to: ADodds720

Could you attach a picture of what you're trying to achieve?

Message 3 of 14
ADodds720
in reply to: SaeedHamza

i took a screencast, and im trying to figure out how to attach it lol

Message 4 of 14
ADodds720

here we go...

https://a360.co/2pDYaI0

Message 5 of 14
SaeedHamza

Could you also attach a picture of the tube you're trying to create?

does it have any details or is it just of a circular section?

Message 6 of 14
ADodds720

Im just trying to create a 3/8" OD tube between the two parts and routed the general way my cursor was pointing, sorry I dont have a mic, so that was the best I could do. From what ive looked up, I need to create a spline from planes... its turning my brain to applesauce. I edited that last post to add i link to the file. The tube OD is what matters to me, and its only a basic round tube, if that helps.

Message 7 of 14
SaeedHamza

Create a sketch on any plane or face (doesn't matter) and then use the include 3d geometry from the Project / Include menu in the sketch drop down menu to create a center for both of the ends that the tube is going to be attached to

Once you did that, create a spline snapping at the centers you created to create the spline in 3d (it should give you a black box when you try to snap it to the center)

Then move the spline in any direction and use it as a path to create a sweep, loft or whatever you want

Regards

Message 8 of 14
ADodds720

okay, im half way there. I created the sketch, and included 3d geometry. i selected the two ports my tube will connect to. this highlighted the diameter and center point purple. but when i try to create a spline, i cannot get the points to snap

Message 9 of 14
ADodds720

Im sure I missed something, but when i create my spline, i cant get it to snap to the points i created, it seems stuck on the sketch plane. heres a video of what i experienced, i tried it on two different planes.

Message 10 of 14
ADodds720

Message 11 of 14
davebYYPCU

3d  Sketch - Must be turned on in your preferences.

3d Sketch ticked in the Sketch Panel, bottom tick box, above Constraints.

The last video shows the correct way to make the Spline end point, you are doing that correctly.

There are a few techniques for the next stage, when making a 3d spline, the points can be in free space, adjusting them is with the Move tool.  Handles must be adjusted with the move tool, or constraints, ( limited).

However, you have a clean and tidy model, I would not put freehand 3d Pipes on it, so would construct 2d pipes.

I have only watched the last video, back again after I watch your first one, to see what you want.

Edit, this works if the bores of the fittings are parallel - you want a plane on two lines being the centre lines of the two bores.  Create the path on that plane with lines and arcs, tangent to each other, with the correct radius for the pipe bending allowances.  Lot easier, and easier to make in the shop, with pipes on a flat plane. When you have the Path, use the pipe tool.

Might help.....

Message 12 of 14
ADodds720
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Im making progress! checking those settings did the trick. Im still having a hard time selecting my points for the spline, but eventually i got it. the last bit of the screencast shows the spline sticking out a ways, due to it still wanting to stick to the sketch plane. Can I move the plane in? Can i make it so the spline does not have to contact the plane? Also in the video you can see that sometimes my spline goes way off course, and a few times, my points vanished. is there anything else I can do about that, or is this as good as it can get? i was however, able to use the pipe tool after the video and make my tube. Thanks a ton for your help.

Message 13 of 14
SaeedHamza

It's not about moving the plane in, it's about moving the points in so that hey get out of the plane the spline was originally sketched at, but in order to get the points leave that plane, you need to use the move tool and not just hold-drag the points.

And the way off course thing happens naturally when you move spline points which are not totally free (pinned to the plane they were sketched on) so try the move tool as I mentioned above.

Message 14 of 14
ADodds720

Got it, that did the trick. Thanks to the both of you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report