Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to combine sheet metal bodies

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
WeekenderSolutions
1084 Views, 7 Replies

How to combine sheet metal bodies

I do a lot of sheet metal models and if I do a sketch then flange it to my desired sheet metal rule flat pattern works great.  If I need to add another body to extend the original part or extend a part of it by doing another sketch off the first sketch, then flange in the right direction so it looks like it should be one piece I always get a line separating the new body from the old one.  Then when I go to create a flat patter it wont show the added sections.  I don't see any option to combine bodies like you get with a regular 3d model.  Ill attach some pictures showing my issue.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

If you combine them as bodies and then add the required fillets, between the merge point, they will become an un-foldable sheet metal body.  Model is attached I used in the Screencast.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 8

@WeekenderSolutions 

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 4 of 8

that looks like exactly what I need to do.  Im not seeing how your actually combining the parts though.  I see your dragging the timeline marker but it doesnt look like the bodies I need to combine are right next to eachother on the timeline.  Is there a button command somewhere where I can just highlight multiple bodies and combine them?

Message 5 of 8

I used the normal Combine command located under the Solid toolbar.  I will remind you that the sheet metal bodies must touch to use the Combine command.

Combine.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 6 of 8

Thank you, I don't know why I wasn't trying that.  I have a hard time remembering which commands will work on both 3d models and sheet metal parts.

Message 7 of 8

This technique doesn't work when two items are not on 90 degree relations to one another.

Message 8 of 8
jhackney1972
in reply to: larrybud2004

You need to clarify your statement.  Also attach your model and show what is not working.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section, of a forum post, to attach it.

John Hackney
Retired

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums