Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to align previous sketch with newer sketch?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
880 Views, 11 Replies

How to align previous sketch with newer sketch?

I am currently modeling an item that has a tapered side. There are multiple shelves, and as the piece gets taller, the shelves get shorter. After constructing the shelves and the sides, I am having trouble figuring out how I can update the shelves so that their bottom edges stick out  to the front edge of the side pieces. I figured I could project the points but I guess I can't project it since The sides came after the shelves? How should I do this? Attaching the model and some screenshots to help explain my situation because I'm sure I am butchering the description.

Also, if anyone would say I should have modeled the sides before the shelves, this was just the process I used in order to determine the actual angle the side pieces needed. So if I did the sides first I would have no idea what the angles should be.

Thank you for helping.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I have attached another version of the file where I have what I think is a hacked together solution. If there are are better ways, please share.

Message 3 of 12
davebYYPCU

In the second file, you do not need the last sketch, for the last extrude

Extrude the front face of the shelf, to Object, and select the front face of the right side, making sure to click the chain Faces right side box.

ExtObj.PNG

You could do that for the top 2 shelves.

Might help.....

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: davebYYPCU

I actually was trying to figure out how to do the 'to object' extrude, but when I pressed Q i didnt get any sort of option like I normally do with extruding a sketch

Message 5 of 12
davebYYPCU

Yep, pressing Q, for Press Pull, is not a short cut for the Extrude Command, 

Extrude is far more powerful, with Cut Join and Intersect options, to and from objects etc.

Message 6 of 12
lichtzeichenanlage

I know that you've mentioned that you can't design this rack from the side. But do be honest I don't get it (but that might be based on my missing experience in designing this things). Because of this, I did a little exercise and created the attached design.

I've created a main sketch where I've defined the width of each shelf, the distance between the shelfs or the distance to the bottom / top and this should match your design pretty well. What makes sense to me, because you more ore less did the same. Just with offset planes and sketches with a different perspective. 

05-11-2018 23-00-20.png

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: lichtzeichenanlage

I guess I just mean that is how I go about doing the design. There is probably nothing preventing me from trying it, but my creative and design coming alive .. for me that works better from the front. I actually dont normally sit and sketch on paper before I hop into fusion. Maybe I should.

Message 8 of 12
davebYYPCU

Nope, sketch inside Fusion, then add known dimensions, before long it will come together.

Plus one, for Willy's sketch, is what I was thinking.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: davebYYPCU

I think I realized why I sketch from the bottom up instead of from the sides. I like to mirror and keep symmetric from the origin, and if I start with the side of something I don't really have that ability.

Message 10 of 12
lichtzeichenanlage

Here is one way to keep the root origin in the center:

Message 11 of 12
chrisplyler

@lichtzeichenanlage  has the right idea. It is just the most logical setup for something like this I think. There is no reason you can't set it up to be centered over the Origin if you want.

Here I have sketched on an Origin plane and used only the Extrude tool, often with the Symmetric option selected.

Message 12 of 12

@chrisplyler: Nice. I was kind of lazy and I've  just fixed one extrude to point in the right direction. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report