Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stitch and thicken this?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
alanwallis99999
369 Views, 9 Replies

How do I stitch and thicken this?

Hi,

I'm trying to stitch and thicken this surface to 1.75mm but I don't know how to do it.  I've probably gone about the whole thing the wrong way as I'm a novice.  Any help much appreciated!

Jake

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
CGBenner
in reply to: alanwallis99999

@alanwallis99999 

Hello and welcome.  I've moved your post to this forum for better visibility.  Good luck!

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 10

This surface will probably be hard to thicken due to the acute and sharp angle in the surface.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 4 of 10

I wouldn't even attempt it. I would only use the mesh as a visual aid and then design the thing from scratch using the "normal" tools in Fusion.

I'd be happy to demonstrate it if there is interest.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10

Hi, that would be great.  I'm at a bit of a loss how best to model these kind of curved shapes or how to design things based on imported meshes.

Message 6 of 10
CGBenner
in reply to: TrippyLighting

@TrippyLighting Have you been able to help @alanwallis99999 with this?

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 7 of 10
TrippyLighting
in reply to: CGBenner

No. If he still has interest I will create a screencast. Just need some feedback if he still is interested 😉

EESignature

Message 8 of 10

Hi, yes would certainly be interested very kind of you.  

Message 9 of 10

Below you'll find the screencast of how I would approach this particular project. Mesh section sketches lend themselves well to prismatic/mechanical geometry. Obviously that doesn't apply to this geometry.

I spent at least three hours finding a good approach and condensing it into a relatively short screencast. In the end, to complete a project like this, a lot of problem-solving and understanding of CAD workflows and tools are required. Reverse engineering geometry also requires a sound understanding of how such objects are built. The keyword here is topology.

That cannot be captured in a 15, or 30-minute YouTube video, which is why you won't find it there 😉 

EESignature

Message 10 of 10

So helpful!  Learnt loads many thanks.  Although I did get there in the end your way is much easier and I have now managed to redesign from scratch and have a much better model and some skills to help me going forward.  Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report