Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do design a car emblem

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Gabe_condie
320 Views, 6 Replies

How do design a car emblem

I'm trying to figure out how to create a design of the Superleggera emblem. I'm looking for advice on the best way to accomplish this. I haven't found any tutorials yet.
I created an outline of the emblem and projected it onto a sketch. I extruded the sketch 3 mm to get the body. This creates a flat surface on the top which needs to be rounded.

When I use Fillet or Chamfer, I get an error that it cannot be done.

How can I reproduce this and have it more like this image where it is rounded and not box shaped?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Drewpan
in reply to: Gabe_condie

Hi,

The obvious way to solve this is to identify the font and simply create what you want from that. There are sites where

you can do a font search by example and upload a jpg file. Uncle Google will help here.

Next possibility is to convert the text into an outline, import it as a dxf or svg and extrude it. Again Uncle Google can

help you to find websites that can do this for you.

Last possibility is to import what you have directly into fusion as a canvas, calibrate it to the size you want and model

it by hand over the top with sketches then extrude.

Drewpan_0-1718754460942.png

I would try to get the font or svg first and if all else fails then the last method will work.

Cheers

Andrew

Message 3 of 7
davebYYPCU

Based on the png file, looks like you have a lot of spline points in the outline sketch.

Are you able to fillet the holes in the letters l, e, g, p, a? 

- there could be a radius fillet limit - start with a low value and see what is tolerated.

Areas like the connections of the l on onto the r and e and bridges like S to u

Would need larger radius so the filet would not be self-intersecting.

Selecting the top outline edge and show Curvature Comb, will likely show a reason the fillets you have tried don't work.

Kudos for the work done so far would not have been easy to trace that logo.

Might help....

Message 4 of 7
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Drewpan

The last method is done, he has traced and extruded his splines.

Might help...

Message 5 of 7
jhackney1972

I am not sure how you created the sketch of the emblem but next time try using the new Autodesk Add-In called Project Salvador.  It will make the task a breeze.  You will find the add-in here.

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7

Are you going to 3D print it?

I guess what has not been understood by the other posters is how to create this smoothly rounded-over top.

Filleting with likely fail on such an object, or it is too small and too consistent.  It only rounds over the edge and does not create the "organic" looking top.

If you are going to 3D print it, the output you need  is a mesh. In that case you might export this as a .stl with very high resolution and try the sculpting tools in meshmixer to round the edge over.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
Gabe_condie

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. It will take me a few days to work through each suggestion.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report