Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I clone a sketch shape?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
alanrickfusion360
338 Views, 7 Replies

How can I clone a sketch shape?

Newbie! 

Hi all,

I'm trying to make an inlay for two bottles in a box.  I've modelled a representation using blocks on the right hand side of the model, just to give a rough idea of  what I'm trying to achieve. By changing the dimensions of the Main bottle the imprints of both bottles adapt to match this. Wonderful!  But then comes the problem because the sketch includes lines or dimensions which are purely intended as constraints to make sure the two halves are placed symmetrically. So the first question is:

How can I apply constraints to bodies instead of sketches.

However, a better approach is to model  with sketches instead of bodies (which is why I'm already loving Fusion 360). However, the bottles will be irregular (spline) sketches which I'll later convert to bodies using the revolve function. If I create a master sketch, and within that a spline sketch of a bottle, which I copy for the 2nd bottle before applying constraints I run into problems. The shape of the spline is tugged out of shape by the constraints (no surprise) when I move the main rectangular sketch.  Also, if I adjust the shape of one of the splines the other spline does not reflect these changes.

Possible workarounds:  

1. Use the Rectangular pattern to duplicate the spline - but that can't be applied to sketches, only bodies or components.

2. Mirror the spline, but that applies constraints on the positioning of the spline so I can apply my own contradictory constraints.

Any wisdom anyone can share about how to achieve the cloning of sketches (in my case splines) would be gratefully appreciated,

Alan

Labels (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

I would recommend you show pictures of those bottles. Maybe splines are needed, maybe not.

@alanrickfusion360 wrote:

However, a better approach is to model  with sketches instead of bodies (which is why I'm already loving Fusion 360).

I would strongly disagree with that!

Working with some of the 3D primitives is not recommended. They are only semi-parametric, which can lead to frustrating effects.

Sketches should be fully defined (dimensioned and constrained.

Moving bodies for a design like this should not be necessary. 

EESignature

Message 3 of 8

Thanks Peter, I meant "a better approach is to model with sketches instead of 3D primitives bodies". Apologies.

That's what I'm trying to achieve. I just used the primitives to mockup what I want to achieve.
As you request I've attached a photo of the wineglass that I'll spline (I'd simplified the scenario).

Best,

Alan

WineGlass.jpg

Message 4 of 8

the closest equivalent to "cloning" in fusion would be to use instances of components. attached is an example of 2 ways of making multiple indents for an object. one just mirrors the resulting faces instead of making a copy of the original object. the other makes a new instance of the component and places it with a joint before doing a combine/cut. you'll see with these both methods that the resulting shape follows changes to the original sketch.

Message 5 of 8

But can attach a constraint to a component? I didn’t think that was possible.

Message 6 of 8

I suspect we're about to get lost in semantics.

constraints in fusion only apply between sketch objects with in a particular sketch.

you can however use a sketch object as the anchor point for a joint between components.

make adjustments to these dims and observe.

laughingcreek_0-1716826739977.png

Message 7 of 8

Looks promising 😀

So the goblets are merged (cut) components. And the Dimensions are attached to the sketch that was extruded to make the base body. Are the other ends attached to sketch points that were used to define the goblets? 
If so, I need to mark the rim of the goblet with a point where it later meets the surface of the base and attach the dimension to that because my goblets are only about 30% embedded into the base.

Also can I give the equal constraint to the relevant dimensions or do I simply make sure they're the same length (or use a parameter)?

Message 8 of 8

Apologies... I'm not used to this forum and I missed your attached file. That explains everything and lets me experiment further. Many thanks @laughingcreek 🙏🙏

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report