Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Rigid Groups

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
jim_dean
404 Views, 14 Replies

Help with Rigid Groups

I'm having trouble with Rigid Groups.  They seem work when I create them, but don't work the next day for example.  The show up in the browser and the timeline.  Anyone else having this issue and any thoughts on how to fix it.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
jeff_strater
in reply to: jim_dean

I think we need more info.  Personally, I have never had an issue with Rigid Group.  But, it might be related to your workflow.  When you say they "don't work", what is the nature of that "not working"?  Things that are grouped come apart?  The group is gone from the timeline or browser?  Are there errors?  What kinds of changes have been made?  Are there sub-assemblies involved?  Internal components or external components?

Do you have an example of a design where you have applied a Rigid Group that is not showing an error, yet is not functioning as you expect?

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 15
davebYYPCU

Trouble?

Message 4 of 15
jim_dean

Sorry, I'm multi-tasking today.  I'm new to cad and new to f360, so it may be my workflow.  I'm doing a rather complicated design (at least for me) of small cnc mill I'm building.  The head assembly for example has about a dozen components that I have rigid grouped so I can move it up and down to determine total travel etc.  It worked fine when I grouped it but when I came back to it the next day it will not move as a group.  I've done some work since it was grouped so it may be something I've done.  Like I said I'm learning as I go so it may be I'm confusing things by how I doing the design.  Would it help if I sent the file.

Message 5 of 15
davebYYPCU

Would it help if I sent the file?

Yes.

Message 6 of 15
jeff_strater

yes, please, and also some info about what does not work as expected - what components you expect to be rigidly grouped that are not acting as expected, and which rigid group(s) seem to be the culprit would also be helpful.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 7 of 15
jim_dean
in reply to: jeff_strater

I have attached the file.  Rigid Group 74 is where I'm seeing the issue.  I grouped them so I could move the entire headstock to determine final travels, etc.  Perhaps I should be using a motion link, but as I said I'm still learning.

This is probably not the best organized design, but it has evolved with my learning.

Message 8 of 15
TrippyLighting

There are a number of things that could use improvements.

I am wondering how you are able to have 2 joints in the design without having any components in it.

The timeline is rolled all the way to the beginning and there shouldn't  be any joints in it:

TrippyLighting_0-1657721762260.png

@Phil.E I can delete one of these joints, but not the other..

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
TrippyLighting

Creating a sketch completely dislocated from, and not constrained in any way to the origin is should be centered about is not a recommended practice.

TrippyLighting_0-1657722301039.png

1. Moving bodies within single-body components in not a recommended practice

2. Using a position capture feature followed by a rigid group to assemble components is not a recommended practice

TrippyLighting_0-1657722853740.png

EESignature

Message 10 of 15
jeff_strater

as near as I can tell, Rigid Group 74 behaves as I would expect.  All the components in this group seem to move together, that is what a Rigid Group does.  Am I missing the problem here?

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 11 of 15
jim_dean
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Peter, thanks for your comments.  I can't explain the two lone joints.  I could only delete one, just like you.  I think I'll go back the timeline and try to clean things up and perhaps delete all the rigid groups.  I'll then try to re-define the rigid groups.  A lot of rookie mistakes for sure but I have created a lot of shop drawings that I've used to make various parts successfully.  

Message 12 of 15
jim_dean
in reply to: jeff_strater

Jeff, rigid group 74 does not move as a group on my end.   It seems intermittent, one day it works, the next day it does not.  I've done some work in-between so not sure if that's related to the issue.  I think I'll shut things down, reboot and see what happens.

Thanks

Message 13 of 15
jim_dean

Well, its working now.  Not sure what is going on.  I'll keep an eye on things going forward and see if I can determine what causes it.  It is probably something I'm doing on my end.  

Thanks for the reply's, its helping me get better.

Jim

Message 14 of 15
TrippyLighting

Looking into this further, I would recommend that you familiarize yourself with Fusion 360 R.U.L.E #1 & #2.

There is a sketch folder with a large amount of sketches right at the top level. I believe most if not all of these sketches should better be located in the components they helped create.

I've recreated the base frame just to show how that can be done more efficiently.

TrippyLighting_0-1657762041549.png

EESignature

Message 15 of 15
jim_dean
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Peter, thanks for your advice, much appreciated.  The further I got into the design I got better at putting the sketches where they belong.  Like I said I'm learning as I go here.  Maybe I should have done some smaller designs before I jumped into this, but I'm enjoying my trip up the learning curve.

I also think I figured what I was doing wrong with the Rigid Groups.  I had bodies selected, not components when moving the Rigid Groups.  Another rookie mistake I suppose.

Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report