Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help making this in Fusion

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
31414 Views, 25 Replies

Help making this in Fusion

Over on the ArtCAM board we are being moved over to using Fusion to create are work as apparently it is a good alternative. Unfortunately we have just found out Autodesk can turn off subscription anytime they like and leave you without the ability to model things.

I have very little experience with Fusion, but in ArtCAM I do lots of different jobs for customers, from Jewellery, Sign making , Furniture work and anything else that lands on my plate.

So a question for anyone on the Fusion board how would I make these sort of models? This is quite normal for ArtCAM customers to do this sort of modelling.

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
laughingcreek
in reply to: Anonymous

I hadn't heard of artcam, so I just took a look.   It looks like a pretty nice piece of software.  The bad news is most of the cool stuff you can do in artcam isn't possible in fusion.  Maybe some others will chime in with alternative workflows.  I suspect Autodesk bought the software for some of it's underlying capabilities, so they could integrate into their own software (such as fusion), but who knows when or if that will happen.

Message 3 of 26
PhilProcarioJr

@Anonymous

Although this stuff is possible in Fusion it is very complicated and hard to do. There is a script to turn an image into a model that can be used for cam but I have rarely gotten good results from it.

It can be found here:

https://github.com/hanskellner/Fusion360Image2Surface

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 4 of 26
jodom4

I made this instructable on how to do it with a script. The catch is that it takes a LONG time to calculate hi res images. The smaller the image, the faster the calculation. Give it a try though-

https://www.instructables.com/id/3D-CNC-Relief-Sculpture-Fusion-360/

F7Y5U3IJ2MAREO5.LARGE

Jonathan Odom
Community Manager + Content Creator
Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

@Phil , that's cool, unfortunately this isn't a photo to 3d this is actual cad modelling, a photo to 3d never works for a model only for texturing. This is what I mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHew2i1QyVY&list=PLGsG1SbsW5sQTB7_0lQZzPoZVBM9UyiFe

You say it is possible but complicated how would I do something in Fusion like the last supper as a model (from my previous image). We are being told by Autodesk Fusion is a replacement, and I really want to understand how we can continue to work with creating models. Fusion is great at CAD models but I'm not sure how it is a replacement for ArtCAM.

Any help would really be appreciated.

@Anonymous - ArtCAM has been around for around 25 years, and a lot of business's are built on it, it is honestly amazing at what it does. Unfortunately Autodesk just turned off our subscription and gave us nothing else in place, and now we have models we cant open, and no other offering. It does worry me for all Autodesk subscription products. I don't believe they have put the features into any other product and a developer who was made redundant in Nov told me its actually not possible to do so. We are just looking for a solution for our modelling and machining problem, and are really hoping as we are being redirected to Fusion that people can help. Thank you all for your support

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: jodom4

Hi Jodom,

Thanks for the info, unfortunately ArtCAM did that 25 years ago when it was released and it now does that sort of work live, no waiting what so ever, even at 72million triangles. That sort of work for us is great for texturing but needs to be instant, otherwise you make no money on a job.

I'm trying to work out how you would even do a simple things in Fusion like in this demo, Simple modelling, and honestly it does do work that quick.   

Message 7 of 26
danb8s

I see a lot of Artcam users asking questions and Fusion people answering them but is there actually any Artcam users in here that have made the switch other that Autodesk employees?

Message 8 of 26
laughingcreek

@Anonymouswrote:

...We are being told by Autodesk Fusion is a replacement, and I really want to understand how we can continue to work with creating models. Fusion is great at CAD models but I'm not sure how it is a replacement for ArtCAM.

Who ever at AD is saying that is loony.  Fusion can't do anything like what I saw in the Demo you posted.  I hope someone can suggest a viable alternative for you.

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: laughingcreek

Yes, Autodesk be telling us, Fusion is new ArtCAM. So we have come to here to find more out. This Autodesk support answers. Buy Fusion

Autodesk stop subscription and my team have no way to design anymore as I cant buy software, I try fusion, it can not do wood carving.

Message 10 of 26
laughingcreek

It's possible if you complain to the right person at AD enough, they will give you a perpetual license so you can keep working till a viable solution comes along. 

Message 11 of 26
danb8s
in reply to: danb8s

I ask a question earlier today but have not had any responces, Is there an administrator in these forums like there are in the Artcam forums?

Message 12 of 26
TrippyLighting

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately we have just found out Autodesk can turn off subscription anytime they like and leave you without the ability to model things.

If a subscription model is used in such a way to disable paying customers to do their work I'd say shame on Autodesk! That is disgusting beyond believe!

In no way, shape or form is Fusion 360 even close to be able to do some of the things as shown in the video as quickly, or even at all!

EESignature

Message 13 of 26
jodom4

Hey Mick,

To my knowledge, the only way to get the results (in terms of geometry) that the video you linked to demonstrates would be to bring in images as canvases, then manually model geometry over them using the Sculpt workspace. I've got some experience with Artcam, and Fusion cannot produce the same kinds of results directly from hi-res images the way Artcam can.

Fusion is great for direct modeling and sculpting, and it's got a great CAM package (I do lots of wood cutting and carving with it), but if you're looking for image-to- 3D surface workflows, it's limited to add-ins like the one I linked to above. 

If you're interested I'd be happy to provide some resources for sculpting in Fusion.

Jonathan Odom
Oregon, USA

Message 14 of 26
jodom4

Hi Khalid,

I'm very sorry about your situation, I would also be frustrated if I were in your shoes. Fusion has a robust CAM package that can produce a variety of 2D and 3D carving tool paths, wood carving included.

As I mentioned above, Fusion is very limited when it comes to converting 2D images into 3D surfaces, so in this sense it is not a substitute for Artcam. That said, it's got some sophisticated sculpting tools. Can you give us some more insight into the kind of work you've been doing in Artcam?

Jonathan Odom
Oregon, USA

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous

I've tried these steps and many others to no avail.. can someone please help !!!

Message 16 of 26
TrippyLighting

Please create a new thread and provide some detail of what you are trying to accomplish by attaching a screenshot, creating a screencast or sharing your model.

EESignature

Message 17 of 26
Anonymous

Is there a reason Fusion wont recognize the .js script? I looked in the create panel and it had boxes to check a C++ or Python script, how can I get it to recognize Java

Message 18 of 26
Anonymous

This might be a roundabout way to do things, but if you have Photoshop you can create a 3D depth map from an image and then export it as an STL and import it into Fusion.  Here is the video I watched to help me figure out how to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZpzoBRK8c4

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous

CNC usage is exploding in the DIY market. Most of us are doing it at a hobby with dablings at maybe selling here and there. As I have gotten the lay of the land (I am very new to this) the number #1 thing I hear is Aspire is too expensive and ArtCAM rocks! I was very disappointed to find it discontinued. I am one that would pay for a license if it were made available again. I know it costs to keep software up to date and such but it seems like there is a great enough call for the product! Either that or make it open-source community supported or allow someone like Inventables to sell and support it for you.

Kind Regards

Message 20 of 26
janus2

Hello!

I think Aspire from Vectric comes very close to what you search.

You can download a free trial version. There are many videos and tutorials.

https://www.vectric.com/products/aspire

Jan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report