Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helical gear genrator crashes fusion

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
mark
1128 Views, 7 Replies

Helical gear genrator crashes fusion

I've created a number of gears using the Helical Gear Generator add-in in the past.  I just now tried to create one and when I hit OK on the dialog fusion crashes.

I tried ...

reinstalling fusion

reinstalling the add-in

using an empty untitled document

... but it still crashes.

Add-in is latest Helical Gear Generator 1.0.2 from 11/20/2017.  Fusion is latest 2.0.3800.  Running on windows 8.1 in VMware on Ubuntu 16.04.

It is urgent for me to make this gear because I have to print it to match several other gears to continue work on my product.  I tried the helical gear creator plug-in but it doesn't allow the parameters I need.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mark
in reply to: mark

BTW, the parameters I am using are ...

helix angle         31
pressure angle   25
module              1.276
pulley teeth        12
backlash            0.8
thickness           3.5

Message 3 of 8
HughesTooling

Never used that plugin but if the backlash is in mm then that's probably the problem, 0.8mm on a 1.276 module would probably be wider than the tooth!

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
mark
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thanks, but I've used those numbers except for tooth count for several other gears.  The distance between teeth is 4mm.  The 0.8 mm is compensation for the nylon flowing sideways when printing.

I guess I could try varying the numbers as an experiment.

Message 5 of 8
mark

I am desperate to make this gear.  My work is being held up.  I'm considering one of these options.  Any ideas on which option I can use?

-- Revert the F360 application to an old version

How do I do this?

- Use another app

Does such an app exist that can output something F360 can import?  I would need some way to use the correct params.

- Create the gear manually

I saw a posting that shows how to do this.  But I don't know how to translate the parameters.

Message 6 of 8
mark

For whoever cares, I've been able to make the gear using the "Use another app" option.  I found an openscad script to generate gears and I painfully modified the params until the gears matched.

I still need to have the add-in work.  I can't go through this pain on every gear.

Message 7 of 8
HughesTooling

Does the plugin have support because it will be down to the developer to fix the plugin. Have you emailed him, there is an email address for support on the plugin page.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
mark
in reply to: HughesTooling

Duh.  I should have directed my question to the author.  I guess because the plugin was installed with Fusion I thought to come here.

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report