Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion curves vs dxf curves

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
KeffJoons
273 Views, 6 Replies

Fusion curves vs dxf curves

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but can anyone explain to me why an imported dxf curve differs from Fusion's native curve (fit point spline)? Even when I export native curves to a dxf file and re-import the file, all the Fit Point Splines have turned into 1 Control Point Splines and none of the other control points are accessible, yet if I import the same file in a different 3D program (Rhino for instance) all the control points are accessible. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CADacombs
in reply to: KeffJoons

Splines import from DXF with their control frames not displayed. While in this state, a few types of editing, including control point editing, is disabled.

To enable, while editing the sketch that contains the spline, right click the spline and pick Display Control Frame from the context menu.

CADacombs_0-1715376984853.png

Message 3 of 7
KeffJoons
in reply to: CADacombs

@CADacombs Thanks for pointing that out. This does give more control over the imported spline, but it is introducing a ton of control points, as you can see in the image attached. What I mean is why can't a Fit Point Spline be exported the same way a Control Point Spline is, so that it stays intact when importing? 

Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 08.56.38.png

Message 4 of 7
laughingcreek

@KeffJoons wrote:...why can't a Fit Point Spline be exported the same way a Control Point Spline is, so that it stays intact when importing? 

B/C fusion curve import still needs some work.

Message 5 of 7
CADacombs

it is introducing a ton of control points

The underlying control point spline gets 5 control points per fit point.

What I mean is why can't a Fit Point Spline be exported the same way a Control Point Spline is, so that it stays intact when importing? 

A couple of explanations on this subject:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-support/export-sketch-as-dxf-failing-after-recent-fusion-updat...

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-design-validate-document/contraints-and-spline-points-are-invi...

Message 6 of 7
TrippyLighting

@KeffJoons wrote:

... What I mean is why can't a Fit Point Spline be exported the same way a Control Point Spline is, so that it stays intact when importing? 

A fit point spline in Fusion is a 5-degree multi-span spline. When it is exported as a .dxf file, that is what is exported.

Fit point splines are application specific and use proprietary code. That is the reason a fit point spline in SolidWorks is not the same as in Fusion or ZW3D etc.

Control Point splines "should" be transferrable across applications.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
KeffJoons
in reply to: laughingcreek

Ah, I see. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report