Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fill hollow body from STEP file

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
martinadDKD98
914 Views, 7 Replies

Fill hollow body from STEP file

Hi all,

I downloaded a STEP file from GrabCAD which contains the boom of an excavator. The boom is a hollow body, as can be seen in the following section analysis:

Boom (section analysis)Boom (section analysis)

How can I fill this body to make it solid?

What I did so far: I used different section views and the tool "Press/Pull" in order to pull the internal surfaces. This works, but seems wrong/clumsy to me, because I have to use different section views, and I have to guess when I pulled enough. This feels more like painting than constructing.

Is there a better way to fill this hollow body?

Regards,

Martin

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Boundary Fill

TheCADWhisperer_0-1616256410470.png

Message 3 of 8

I already tried boundary fill, but was not successful (because I am new to Fusion 360).

How do you do that with boundary fill? What would be the "tools" and what the "cells"?

Message 4 of 8

See Attached.

Message 5 of 8

Thank you. My fault was, that I did not select the "Boom Pin".

Message 6 of 8
dikshant.
in reply to: martinadDKD98

Tools are the bodies or components you wish to use boundary fill on and cells are sections of the body/component you wish to keep after the boundary fill.

Message 7 of 8
AK47BHOOM
in reply to: martinadDKD98

Hey @martinadDKD98 ,

Adding to @TheCADWhisperer you can also try in this way. Just delete the tapered faces on both sides and use extrude to pull the face. see the attached file.

Message 8 of 8

@AK47BHOOMThis is an interesting behavior. I did not expect that Fusion would react like that, when the tapered faces are deleted (converting the whole inside into one single, straight surface).

Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums