Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Organization

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
alan
1973 Views, 1 Reply

File Organization

Hi,

I started by just designing items and finding them in recent data.  Now there are too many items for that to be practical.  I tried creating folders and moving designs/models to new folders without any success.

So two questions.  What is a good/practical way to orgize designs?  How do you move files?  I tried right click select move but no luck.

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: alan

Alan,

I hear you. I have hundreds of electronic parts and assemblies to organize in each of multiple projects. 

What works for me: 

Organize work into projects- projects can include others, so it makes sense to have projects for each group you work with. 

Inside each project, organize folders for different sorts of content, parts, or files. 

You should be able to move something into the folders by right clicking and selecting Move. A dialog will open that shows the folders. Select the folder you want and the file will move- but not instantly, it can take a few seconds. It’s not as elegant or intuitive as most of the rest of Fusion, but it works.

Fusion 360ScreenSnapz048.png

You can also do the from the web if you open the project in A360. 

Navigate into the folders by double clicking, go back to the prior level by clicking the inscrutable triangle icon with little balls at the apex points. 

When searching for a part, the little pull-down just before the search box will allow you to search other projects, or all data- very helpful when you are recycling parts from one project to another. 

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report